Sign in to follow this  

CRF off roading...

is the 450 a good offroad bike..

in my local cycle trader i can get an 04 with ims tank kickstand and other little goodies for 4600.

right now i ride a ttr 225 and willit be to much power, and what kind of maintenance will i have to do after every ride to keep it super reliable.:cry:

thanks guys:)

I bought one last September for $5400.00 so $4600.00 sounds good to me. It depends how hard it was ridden and how well it was maintained.

My 450 came in new condition with a Clark tank, a Works Connection skid plate and engine guards and a few other goodies. I knew the guy I bought it from so I knew it was well maintained.

Its an awsome bike in the desert. Plenty of power to go scary fast.

As far as maitenace goes, I ride in the eastern Cali desert every other weekend. I ride 50 to 100 miles a weekend (I rode close to 50 miles yesterday). I clean the air filter every trip and change the oil and filter every other trip.

So far, so good

The CRF makes a great offroad bike, you may want to soften the suspension and put a flywheel weight on it. Also if you do some very tight slow riding you may get it to steam a little. There are lots of posts here about what guys have done to their bikes for offroad. I had a 03 and only road offraod and it worked great. If I liked bike maintance (valve maintance) more I would still own it.

Barney

Just don't try to compare it to the TTR. They are nothing alike.

Personally, I'd recommend you get the CRF250R instead. You'll enjoy it more in the long run if you are new to riding.

ben

thanks guys... also do you think the size is to big for me cus i just am coming off a ttr but i wont be able to get another bike after this for atleast 4 years...

thanks guys... also do you think the size is to big for me cus i just am coming off a ttr but i wont be able to get another bike after this for atleast 4 years...

The CRF450 is for you would be like going from a Yugo to a Corvette.

With that said where are you planing on riding off road? Desert, woods, dunes, ect?

The 450 is a beast relative to the TTR, but it's still a good trail bike. I'm not big into trail riding, but I do ride them from time to time and the CRF's been rock solid.

willit be to much power
I usually believe that too much power is almost enough. However, in the case of a dirtbike, too much can be too much. All is usually well as long as you have full control. But there are times when all of us have experienced "whiskey throttle"; that fun experience when you're back on the bike, accidentally add too much throttle, further back, more throttle,.............. Big nasty result. Such a situation can happen very quickly with a 50+ hp CRF450, especially coming off a TTR anything. As was suggested above, a 30'ish hp CRF250R/X has more power than 90% of riders can fully use. I'd suggest you start there, then move up to a 450 later if it's not enough.

thanks guys.

so your saying that a 250r will have like triple the power of the 225 i have now

thanks alot.

phil