CRF off roading...

is the 450 a good offroad bike..

in my local cycle trader i can get an 04 with ims tank kickstand and other little goodies for 4600.

right now i ride a ttr 225 and willit be to much power, and what kind of maintenance will i have to do after every ride to keep it super reliable.?

thanks guys:)

I bought one last September for $5400.00 so $4600.00 sounds good to me. It depends how hard it was ridden and how well it was maintained.

My 450 came in new condition with a Clark tank, a Works Connection skid plate and engine guards and a few other goodies. I knew the guy I bought it from so I knew it was well maintained.

Its an awsome bike in the desert. Plenty of power to go scary fast.

As far as maitenace goes, I ride in the eastern Cali desert every other weekend. I ride 50 to 100 miles a weekend (I rode close to 50 miles yesterday). I clean the air filter every trip and change the oil and filter every other trip.

So far, so good

The CRF makes a great offroad bike, you may want to soften the suspension and put a flywheel weight on it. Also if you do some very tight slow riding you may get it to steam a little. There are lots of posts here about what guys have done to their bikes for offroad. I had a 03 and only road offraod and it worked great. If I liked bike maintance (valve maintance) more I would still own it.

Barney

thanks guys... also do you think the size is to big for me cus i just am coming off a ttr but i wont be able to get another bike after this for atleast 4 years...

The CRF450 is for you would be like going from a Yugo to a Corvette.

With that said where are you planing on riding off road? Desert, woods, dunes, ect?

willit be to much power
I usually believe that too much power is almost enough. However, in the case of a dirtbike, too much can be too much. All is usually well as long as you have full control. But there are times when all of us have experienced "whiskey throttle"; that fun experience when you're back on the bike, accidentally add too much throttle, further back, more throttle,.............. Big nasty result. Such a situation can happen very quickly with a 50+ hp CRF450, especially coming off a TTR anything. As was suggested above, a 30'ish hp CRF250R/X has more power than 90% of riders can fully use. I'd suggest you start there, then move up to a 450 later if it's not enough.