Sign in to follow this  

Ca. inspection of street legal bikes???

So I was reading an older post in the archives about kickstand kill switches and it ended up in a convo about inspection of bikes in various states.

I am the proud new owner of an '05 DRZ400S in California and do not know much about the inspection process. Or even if there is one? I assume that the bike was sold "inspected" from the dealer. Is there going to be a point where my bike will have to be "inspected" again by someone? I don't know how this works...enlighten me. I have since added a clarke tank (illegal in Cali and taken off the chain guard...illegal, I think and taken off the front reflectors and hacked the rear license plate reflactor off.) I was actually debating on removing the other smog equipment but not if I have to have it inspected!!

Again...enlighten me Cali TT'ers. :cry: Thanks. - Jeff

Here is the current law.

When is a smog inspection required?

Currently, smog inspections are required for all vehicles except diesel powered vehicles, electric and natural gas powered vehicles, hybrids, motorcycles, trailers, or vehicles 30 model years old or older. Starting April 1, 2005, the smog exemption for vehicles 30 model years old or older will end. After that date all 1975 and older vehicles will be exempt from smog certification requirements

there are no inspections on any motorcycles. modify away. they cops have to "find" the problems.

in reality there are no mechanical inspections on any cars or pickups or bikes. only the tail pipe sniffer every 2 years if you car or truck is more than 4 or less than 28 years old.

I have since added a Clarke tank (illegal in Cali) --- What makes you think so? Perhaps from the standpoint of vapor emissions but not because it is plastic. Evap emissions is not something that is checked but an inspector might flag it for being modified.

taken off the chain guard...illegal, I think --- Again, no. Chain guards are product liability issue for the manufacturer. It is not illegal to modify your motorcycle as long as you do not create an unsafe condition. Maybe a gray area for a chain guard.

and taken off the front reflectors and hacked the rear license plate reflector off.) --- OK, now you have made it non-conforming to federal safety requirements that apply to vehicle manufacturers. I doubt the state is going to care but they might.

I was actually debating on removing the other smog equipment but not if I have to have it inspected!! --- sounds like from a previous answer, motorcycles are exempt for now. That can always change.

No inspection now but the key point is that the law can (and does) change.

Depending on the insane logic of CARB and other California "institutions" (and I use that term lightly) you may see motorcycle emission inspections in future.

Modify away now but make sure to keep all the removed parts,hoses, brackets, nuts and bolts, etc. This way you can happily spend and afternoon putting it all back to "stock"...pass the silly test and then go home and remove it again. What fun.

Ray Stedronsky

Davis, CA

You should have recieved a temporary street registration on paper. Put that on your license plate frame somehow and you are good to go. DMV will mail a plate to you later.

I have the plates. I've been riding for a couple of months now on the street. I just wanted to know more about the details of what inspections may be comprised of. Or if they indeed were enforced or even done. I am fairly familiar with the recent legislation passed as I did my homework before making the decision to buy a dual sport. But like some have said, there are gray areas. Which is typical of law and Cali law in particular.

Thank for your help. :cry: