Sign in to follow this  

Will an 05yzf tank & 05wrf seat fit an 03wrf?

Does anyone know if an 05' yz250f tank is compatible with an 05' wr250f seat, and if so, can I use this combination on my 03' wr250f? I like the slimmer feel of the 05' yzf, and range is not a major concern. Plus I am looking forward to the added bonus of being able to use yzf graphics.

If you use an 05 YZ250F tank, you will need to use an 03-05 YZ250F seat. The WR seat will not work. It isn't as long as the YZ seat.

Thanks for the reply! However I cannot use the 05' yzf seat on an 03' wrf as the wr has the battery under the seat and therefore a different subframe than the yzf. You're right about the 03'wrf seat being too short, but the 05' wrf seat is longer this year as it uses a different (smaller) tank. I was at the dealer the other day, and to my eye the 05' wrf seat looks the same length as the 05 yzf seat. The sales and service guys had no idea if it would work, and I would hate to order it due to the restocking fee if I happen to be wrong.

I have an 04 WR250F converted to a YZ format. You can see pics at www.cosmicracing.com While the 05 is different, you still have a similar problem with the WR seat being too short. Here's what I did. Cut a notch in a YZ seat base over the battery area. I used a dremel cutting tool to take out the plastic and some foam. (I used a CEET complete replacement.) Then, cut off the two side castings on the seat base that sit on the sub frame. The seat stays extremely tight with the tank mount and back bolt mounts while retaining strength through the subframe. It doesn't move (and my big butt can make seats cry for mercy.)

That pretty much clears it up for me. Thanks for the great info and pics! As I wear knee braces when I ride, my 03 wr has always felt like a pig. It will be nice to be riding something that actually feels like a motorcycle.