Sign in to follow this  

No more Mobil 1 Red Cap

The rumor mill has it that Mobil is no longer manufactureing 15-50 Red Cap but is now selling 15-50 Extended Performance Gold Cap. or something like that. What will you Red Cap addicts do? Whats the difference between the old Red Cap and the New Gold Cap?

Why would they stop manufacturing the Greatest Oil in the World.?!?!?! :cry:

yep... :cry: I use BelRay:p ..., whoops were talking about redcap:excuseme:

Where did you hear that red cap isn't made anymore?

the reason RED CAP is out of stock is because i bought it all up.

now I'M the BIG DOG distributor, biatches. :cry:

jim aka the wrooster

'01 wr250f

ps: the only constant in the world is change.

so let's all move on over to Rotella until they cancel that.

jim aka the wrooster

'01 wr250f

ps: the only constant in the world is change.

so let's all move on over to Rotella until they cancel that.

I haven't looked that close at the new lineup. No direct replacement for Red Cap in all of thos oils, huh?

Jim, I don't remember you mentioning it, but inasmuch as you like 50s, what is your opinion of M1 V-Twin? Looks good, and meets JASO MA, so it's good for a wet clutch. Bound to cost more than Rotella, though. What's your take?

Delvac/Truck & SUV

I'll be going with either that or MX4T. I haven't made up my mind yet... still have enough Yamalube 4 for one more change.

I would say to look at amsoils synthetic if you dont particularly like Rotella. Every single ad they ever do touts how much better it is than mobil 1.

I would say to look at amsoils synthetic if you dont particularly like Rotella. Every single ad they ever do touts how much better it is than mobil 1.
amsoil *may* make a good product. i just have a problem with the manner in which they sell it. it's like the graph they have showing low temperature performance. it's a piddly 3'F "better" than M1 (-67'F vs -64F, or something along those lines). yet, they have this graph with the Y axis value starting at -60'F. so it visually appears that amsoil is twice as good at low temperatures. at work we call that "chartmanship", the ability to roll the data into something it's not.

now i just carry Tufte's books around and hit people over the head with them when i see crap graphs.

http://www.edwardtufte.com/tufte/books_vdqi

http://www.edwardtufte.com/tufte/books_ei

http://www.edwardtufte.com/tufte/books_visex

http://www.edwardtufte.com/tufte/books_textb

jim aka the wrooster

'01 wr250f

For me it's the bearing wear comparisons between the two. That ties directly to our trannies and valve train. The rest of the stuff pretty much glazes my eyes over because of what you pointed out. Propaganda.

at work we call that "chartmanship", the ability to roll the data into something it's not.
"There are three common kinds of lies. There's lies, damn lies, and statistics."

-Mark Twain

The rest of the stuff pretty much glazes my eyes over

Glazed eyes? You would make a good Amsoil drone, uh I mean salesman:D

Amsoil Drone? nah, I meant the rest meant little to me, so I glaze over in the sense of not listening.

I do use amsoils fork oil though. It is far better than race tech's synthetic at 1/4th the price. And just for kicks, their coolant is the same stuff engine ice is hawking at a fraction of the cost too. So they're not out to gouge you with re-labeling costs.

Mobil is making a direct replacement for the "red cap", it is the Extended Performance 15w50. It supposedly has more of the Supersyn additives but how much moly noboby knows yet.

ma-by in the north east, but I got the south east :cry:

Mobil is making a direct replacement for the "red cap", it is the Extended Performance 15w50. It supposedly has more of the Supersyn additives but how much moly noboby knows yet.

That's the problem... until someone does a VOA on the new oil, we don't know what's in it.