Sign in to follow this  

Need advice on old bike.

One of my mates the other day said that his old man had an old bike under the house and asked me if I wanted it. From how he described it, it sounds like like a old 465 or 425 not sure if it is a YZ or an IT. If i did buy this bike ($150-200) would it be worth doing up. Is it a reliable bike. I know that the handeling won't be to flash but I've been told that power wise it would run with my YZ. I have an old DT200 (89 model) sitting at home not going would the suspension componets swap over with a little fabricating. I would like to at least have a disk on the front. Thanks in advance for your help.

P.S. I had an old IT200 as a second bike and the thing was a blast. And very reliable.

If it's an old YZ465, and you don't end up buying it, let me know. I've had the hots for one for ages.....:cry: As for whether the suspension would fit a DT200, well, the rear shock set up on an early IT/YZ is a different configuration than a '89 DT200, so no good on the rear. As for the front forks, depending on whether it's an IT425 or YZ465, it'll have between 10-12 inches of suspension travel, whereas your DT will have around 8 or 9 inches from memory. If you could adapt the forks, it'd prob'ly look a bit 'chopperish', unless you raised the rear end to compensate. Let us know what it turns out to be, I like hearing about bikes found under houses/in barns etc.:cry:

You don't give a year??, if it,s a 425 then it,s a IT. The bikes were not the best in any area but when properly jetted they were a decent and reliable bike for a play bike at least, if its been sitting awhile it'll surely need some maint. to get it in reliable riding condition, beyond the basics pay special attention to the crank seals, I've seen alot of these bikes with bad seals, an easy & inexspensive fix which left alone can get ugly.:cry:

I wasn't told a year on it. The guy from school said that it is a old blue bike that his dad used to race. And that it had a really fat pipe (two stroke) and was a 400 and something (the dude has no intrest in bikes at all therefore he knows jack schit). I was told the the power of the old big-bore two bangers was more than the suspension could handle, so naturally I was intrested. And Chris thanks for the info. Where in aus are you. I didn't even bother to check the DT suspension i didn't think i would use it any way. might just stiffen up the rear and find a pair of forks of a 95ish WR or YZ, dunno cross that bridge when i get to it.

Thanks for the info fellas any more input would be appreciated:thumbsup: thanks.

I wasn't told a year on it. The guy from school said that it is a old blue bike that his dad used to race. And that it had a really fat pipe (two stroke) and was a 400 and something (the dude has no intrest in bikes at all therefore he knows jack schit). I was told the the power of the old big-bore two bangers was more than the suspension could handle, so naturally I was intrested. And Chris thanks for the info. Where in aus are you. I didn't even bother to check the DT suspension i didn't think i would use it any way. might just stiffen up the rear and find a pair of forks of a 95ish WR or YZ, dunno cross that bridge when i get to it.

Thanks for the info fellas any more input would be appreciated:thumbsup: thanks.

If it's blue, it's more than likely an IT400/425/465. When you have a look at it, try and get a pic', and i'll tell you what year/size it is. I'm in Melbourne, plenty of Aussies on ThumperTalk now, even scored our own flag recently:thumbsup: :cry: :cry: :cry: My neighbour has a '94 DT200, that thing just keeps on going, with little to no maintenance.....'sonorawfo' is right about the 425/465's being a bit tricky to jet correctly. I had an old YZ125, with an IT425G engine in it, it was very hard to tune right, very fussy depending on temperature etc, but when it was running right, it flew.:cry: