Sign in to follow this  

New XR 650L running rough-need help

I just purchased two XRL's and have a problem. Before I call the dealer and try to explain to them what the problem is, I thought I would seek out experts first. And no, I don't ride them both. One is the wife's.

One bike runs great. The other bike pops, snorts, bucks and basically runs like it is not getting enough fuel. Backfires on decel and has a huge lag or pause at initial throttle and during full on throttle application. Has even stalled in first gear while trying to negotiate a typical slow roll u turn. The machines where warmed up and both idle well.

Comparing the two machine, it is a night and day difference in how they run. They are not broke in yet. The dealer uncrated and prep'd for deliver the day before I picked them up. I suspected bad fuel, but don't really know.

Could it be a simple carb adjust? If so any suggestion would be appreciated. I'm very mechnically inclined, but have really never had to screw around with a Honda carb set-up. I've owned many bikes over the years and this is a first. The dealer is over 100 miles round trip and I know the standard statement will be "bring it in". The typical, pain in the rear, warranty stuff may follow, i.e. couldn't repeat your complaint, nothing wrong, give it awhile-might fix it self. All crap and usually sends me into confrontation mode. I've owned XR's before and they've all run great from day one.

If it is an easy adjustment, I would just as soon turn the screwdriver myself.

And yes, I'm aware of all the warranty implications for messing with the bike.

For sure the smog crap will be history in a year. But even with the smog stuff, the one good bike runs great. I've also read all the threads on removing the smog crap, jetting and drilling procedures, but this will not happen until the warranty is not an issue.

Please help.

Clean the carburetor and especially the float bowl and pilot jet. Check the settings against the manual or other bike. Maybe swap carburetors. Set the fuel screw a little further out than the other bike.

James

Thanks James. You really believe a new bike will have a varnished carb? I suppose it's possible, there gas can go as bad as mine. Thanks again....

Look for dirt or debris from assembly. The carb may have been originally assembled in a sterile environment, but the hose, petcock, and tank get handled several times. Yours wouldn't be the first to have dirt or lint from a shop rag in the float bowl.

James

take that brand new bitch back to the dealer,theres no telling whats wrong with it,it could be a simple dirty carb but if its not and you tear into the bike and void the warranty then what do you do.the bike came out of the crate brand new and it wont run?take it back man.your warranty may be the only thing that saves you.