Sign in to follow this  

knocking

please help. I have a 2004 CRF250r, with less than 15hrs on it. Only raced it twice and the rest is trail riding. Its been a perfect bike till i noticed a radiator mount broken off so i took the radiators off and took it to get fixed. Now that i put it back together there is a bad knock when i kick it over?! I take good care of it, so i dont know what could have happened.

Is it your chain rattling? It might be out of adjustment. Everyone here will tell you to throw the stock chain out. Noise from the head? I would remove the shrouds and tank and check your valve clearances. Disconnect the plug and slowly turn the crank over and see if everything looks smooth. Maybe your valves are loose from the factory.

yes this is a knock from inside the head. sounds like the piston hitting something. i hope not. from top-dead it will knock right away at the top of the kick but i wont hear it again all the way down till i reset it and kick again. I hope this makes sense.

if your talking about the knock you get when you just kick the bike over slow, not starting. and its makes the noise like once everytime it goes alll the way around the 4 strokes i think thats normal.. mine has always done that

yes it sounds like you know what im talking about, but mine never did it till now. I'm thinking i should look into. i hope its harmless. has anyone else heard this?

I would like to tell you its harmless but I don't think so, I think thats bad, my bike ticks like a car but it doesn't knock, I would check the valves if you know how, or take it to get looked at.

If it is happening when the bike isn't running you are hearing the automatic decompression on the cam clicking. When you hear the click you are at top dead center. You will feel it decompress also. :cry: When you are riding and stall out slowly push down on the kickstart until you hear the click. Then push a couple inches down more followed by a strong push down. If you keep practicing this you will get the thumper started almost as quick as you would a two stroke.:cry: No worries!

thanks mike. i thought about the compression release after the fact and i bet thats it because i've had no problems ever with this bike. its just weird that i never heard it before. im not having problems starting it, its just that i heard the noise and figured i better leave it till i got an idea what it was.

I'm not saying you don't have a problem, but all of the X's and R's I've experienced (including mine) sound like they have a loose rod at idle. I don't know if it's only the decompressor, but it sounds pretty bad first time you hear it. If you really want to hear something shocking, rotate kick over the engine with the valve cover off when you're checking clearances. Amazingly loud.