Sign in to follow this  

MX / Trail Boots Suggestions?

The ole' lady says I can spend some dough on bike gear / protection. Last fall I purchased the bike ('05 DRZ- S) and since have installed CFC case savers, Unibiker rad. guards, Cycra hand guards, & WB Skid plate. I'm thinking next I should get some personal protective gear. From the injury thread it seems that the ankle sprain / twist seems pretty common. So I'm looking for suggestions on foot-wear. I intend to use the bike 60/40 street/trail. I'm open to suggestions reguarding any gear bike or rider.

Thanks for the input

HH

The ole' lady says I can spend some dough on bike gear / protection. Last fall I purchased the bike ('05 DRZ- S) and since have installed CFC case savers, Unibiker rad. guards, Cycra hand guards, & WB Skid plate. I'm thinking next I should get some personal protective gear. From the injury thread it seems that the ankle sprain / twist seems pretty common. So I'm looking for suggestions on foot-wear. I intend to use the bike 60/40 street/trail. I'm open to suggestions reguarding any gear bike or rider.

Thanks for the input

HH

No Boots yet:eek: Alpinstars tech 8 are great.:cry:

I'm looking at getting some new boots myself. Anybody have any experience with the Alpinestar Vector boots? They seem to be about the same price as the Tech 6's.

Try http://rockymountainmc.com ,also there are numerous ads in the various dirt bike magazines. Last but not least visit your local bike shops they may carry what you are looking for at a reasonable price, often the difference in what it would cost to ship gear through internet orders.

Good luck and enjoy your new bike.:cry:

Try them on at the shop then find cheaper online because sizes and fit change by brand. i'm a 10 in oneal and 11 in fox, good thing I tried before I bought. And for the vector, if their the ones with the rounded sole, My friend got so from work free(usfs). He said the sole made it hard to use the rear break because it would slip by. He went back to his old tech 8s.

I'm looking at getting some new boots myself. Anybody have any experience with the Alpinestar Vector boots? They seem to be about the same price as the Tech 6's.

I have the vectors, and love them. they're not as mx focused as the Tech 6's or 8's, but they're perfect for the type of riding I do. I can also comfortably wear them on the GS for dual-sporting and I want a little extra protection.

They're also very comfortable to walk around in. Not that I'm walking around the mall or anything, but just the same.

I recommend them.:cry:

I am no expert but have an opinion anyway, I have been using the Alpinestar tech 4, not as high tech as the newer models, but work great. My wife is using the Vectors and she loves them, I think any quality boot will give you good service but you must wear them!

I also have the Vector boots and absolutely love them. They broke in very easy. The top snap in clip is a little funky, and tends to get sideways if you keep that strap tight. I normally wear a size 10.5 tennis shoe, and went to a size 11. I have high arches and the boots fit me great. No hot spots, and no trouble finding the shifter or brake.:cry:

Regards,

-f-

I have some vectors, and they are very comfortable... but I broke my ankle in them. While no boot is a guarantee of no injury, there are several out there that are a bit beefier around the ankle, and with a stiffer sole. Be warned that the comfort can come at a price. I'm still looking for the absolute beefiest boots I can find!

Ya... boots aren't like helmets.

With helmets, once you get both the DOT and SNELL ratings, all more money buys you is light weight, cool graphics, and maybe comfort.

Since there's no standard for boots, buying cheap is a guarantee of a cheap boot with minimal protection and minimal comfort. The problem is when you hit the midrange around $160-$200. Tech-4s are comfortable, but don't offer the protection of the Tech-6 or 8. OTOH, there are other midrange boots that offer superb protection, but just don't feel very good.

I have Vectors and have managed to smash my toes on several occasions, the toe area is not stiff enough IMO(much like the new Tech 10's). I just bought some Tech 8's, not as comfy as the vectors but I think they are safer. If it were me I would go with the Tech 6's given your choices although I do miss the comfort of the Vectors.

Alpinestar Tech 8 would be the best. I have owned Tech 4's for 6 years and have raced Quad MX for 4 years and use them for trail riding the DRZ now. I think they are great.

Where might I locate these? Any websites would be helpful. Local selection is slim.

http://shop.thumpertalk.com/Boots_s/831.htm

That might be a good place to check out new boots :cry:

I've had two sets of Tech 8's now.. Just bought a new pair a few weeks ago.. Love um,, and for me,, the best fit of the high end boots.. But everybody's needs are different,, you have to go try um on,, and realize there is some break in needed.

The Vectors are ok,, for what they are,, a compromise boot. You get some ok protection,, and something you can walk around camp in... But the second part,,,is what makes it not the best choice if your out on the trail,, and catch a foot on a stump at 30 mph

http://shop.thumpertalk.com/Boots_s/831.htm

That might be a good place to check out new boots :cry:

I've had two sets of Tech 8's now.. Just bought a new pair a few weeks ago.. Love um,, and for me,, the best fit of the high end boots.. But everybody's needs are different,, you have to go try um on,, and realize there is some break in needed.

The Vectors are ok,, for what they are,, a compromise boot. You get some ok protection,, and something you can walk around camp in... But the second part,,,is what makes it not the best choice if your out on the trail,, and catch a foot on a stump at 30 mph

OK, I'm convinced Tech 8's it is. Will I need to replace the factory footpegs and extend the shifter (For Comfort)? Looking to purchase size 13 boots from Bronco's provided link).

Thanks,

HH

find them for alot cheepier on ebay under motocross boots. if you find some nice used boots that is not always bad, because boots suck to break in and someone has already done it for you. tech 6 or 8's would be really good. i would not buy a cheap pair of boots if i were you, the ankle's can be pretty fragile when coming up short on a jump or jaming your foot in the ground around a corner. just my 2 cents :cry:

Well i love My Alp Tech 6 boots but they are not very water proof at all and I sealed them with everything i can think of. Great fitting boot and awesome protection but there are other boots out there that are just as good and a bit lower priced . All the boots i have ever owned i have had to get a size bigger so take that into consideration when buying! :cry:

I agree with all the Tech 8 sugg. I had a cheap pair of MSR World Tours.

$120 range. My peg smashed my foot after a head on with an a$$quad.

It had no internal steel shank. Folded right on my foot. Minimal protection...

The Tech 6 & 8 both have them. I'm sure I wouldn't have needed surgery

if I had on the Tech 8s. Kicked myself for skimping on protection...

I got them on ebay used, looked new, for $160 shipped. I had 4 months to

shop while I was laid up. You can find them every so often $200-$275.

The steel on the back of the Tech 8 has saved my heels on a couple get offs as well.