Sign in to follow this  

YZ250F for a 210lbs. guy????

Do you think the YZ250F has good enough stock suspension and power to keep a 210lbs intermediate rider happy on the track and trails?

I ride about 50/50 track and trail and though I want an agile track bike I also dont want to have problems out on the trail (maybe a hair scramble).

I almost baught a WR450 this week but decided to step back and get a bit more info before making a decision.

Opinions please!

i weigh abot 200lbs and i am a begginer and i think it will have enough power for you. My friend also has a 02 yz250f and he is a intermedient rider and he flys on that thing no problem with any power or suspension.

I just went from a Cannondale C440 to WR250F and couldn't be happier. If you're used to big bore bikes, you might miss the lugging and the "power everywhere" but these smaller bore bikes have the power you'll need. You just have to wind it up a bit. I can go *much* faster on the smaller bike mostly due to my riding style. I'm much faster with weaving through tight stuff than I am on open roads. Big bores are great for open stuff, not as manageable in the tight stuff.

Wyatt, can you explain?

Im a solid intermediate rider who's riden big bore 2 strokes lately (WXC 360).

Ive always thought in terms of 125 2's = 250 4's and 250 2's = 450 4's which is why I am concerned about a 250F's power delivery.

But, my primary concern is (as with all street or dirt bikes) the stock suspension. I like bikes that have the adjustable range in stock form to take care of me.

More opinions for sure

Thanks!

Well, I can't advise on the 250f, but I'm about 235lbs and very happy on a YZ450...

It all depends on what you're going to be doing with it and how much pucker factor you need. The bike only goes as fast as I turn the throttle.

I love riding wheelies, its my favorite thing to do. The 450 will wheelie in any gear. :cry:

I'm about 240lbs and have a wr250F. It has great power since I did all the free mods and rejetted. I had a yz400F before and I love the 250. I can throw the bike around with little effort. Suspension is another story stock fine for the woods but way to soft for the track. Definetly need to get proper springs for your weight.:cry:

I have a YZ450 and a YZ250. I like the 450 but I go better on the 250. Corner speed is higher and its easier to throw around. The 250 is slow stock. I put a big bore kit and cams in it but I haven't been able to ride it yet due to winter.

The 450 is a big, tall, powerful bike. Its easy to get in to trouble with. The 250 is more forgiving.

I had to respring both bikes. Both are good bikes.

Do you think the YZ250F has good enough stock suspension and power to keep a 210lbs intermediate rider happy on the track and trails?

QUOTE]

While power will be Ok, IMO you'll need to re-spring and re-gear it. $250-300 for these 2 should be a ballpark $ figure.

You could prob get by on trails with stock springs but mx will give you too much bottoming and you'll be forever chasing clicker settings with the wrong springs installed.

The stock gearing will be wrong for both track/trail.

The main reason why I think the 250F will not be enough for you is your size and ability. If you are an intermediate level rider then you are running at a pretty good pace.

I ride a YZ450. I had the chance to ride my brothers brand new '05 YZ250f. It simply did not have anywhere near the power that I have come to expect from my bike. To me, my 450 is much easier to ride because it pulls each gear so much farther and gives me the power to jump anything even if I don't carry the best corner speed.

Bottom line.....the YZ250F is a 125cc class bike. Thats not to say that guys can't make them fly. There is just no way that I want to give up the power of my 450. With your history of riding bike bikes, I think you would be always wanting more.

My advice.....stick to grown-up bikes.

I'm 6'2" @ 235lbs and probably a D class rider and can usually take all of the 125D riders but I'm at the bottom of the 250D class while racing my WR450F.

We had a KX125 that we sold do to maintenance issues, I'm tired of working on two strokes while my WR never needs anything except the oil, filters and chain maintenance. About two weeks ago we purchased my daughter an '05 YZ250F and installed a Rekluse. She was racing a Z400 and was riding the KX125 as a low D class rider. The suspension was stiff as it was new so I rode about 1 1/2 tanks through it the first day.

My opinion:

The YZ250F will almost excellerate as quickly as my WR.

The front end does not push on the YZ250F like the WR450F

I'm much faster on the YZ250F in both woods and track.

I'm much less tired on the YZ250F than the WR450F

I never needed more power than the YZ250F could deliver

I never bottom the YZ250F though I bottom my WR450F frequently, even with upgraded springs and the suspension set at max compression.

I DIDN'T WANT TO REMOUNT MY WR450F AFTER RIDING THE YZ250F for a day :cry:

My next bike will be a YZ250F.

Rich

My 2-bits:

Suspensions are rated for a reason. They are also progressive. Your suspension is rated for a 160 pound rider over average conditions. Since you are above the optimum weight, your suspension (even clicked out) is not performing in the optimum range. In a sense, you are always progressed partially.

Get the springs balanced for your weight and I'll bet you are faster than you think.

Flying-W

My WR springs are racetech and supposed to be for a 235lbs motorcross rider. I didn't change my valving though and really don't want to put any more money in my WR as it's truely a great bike for what it's meant to do, just not what I'm asking it too.....

You can't go wrong with the dependability of a WR. The YZ250F is my daughter's bike and she's only 118lbs so it's a bit stiff for her, but much smoother in both power and suspension than the KX125.

Rich

a YZ250F would be an awsome bike for you my friend ways about 220 and all he had to do was throw some stiffer springs in the front and rear and he loves it hes never riden in his life now he can ride with me on the track and it is a great hairscramble bike i know people that do those and they said it goes threw all the stuff really easy

I ride about 50/50 track and trail and though I want an agile track bike I also dont want to have problems out on the trail (maybe a hair scramble).

I almost baught a WR450 this week but decided to step back and get a bit more info before making a decision.

Opinions please!

I'm 225 and I prefer my 04 YZ250f to my WR426 anyday. I ride track and trail and I ride pretty well (3rd,4th & 5th pinned) Suspension is stock, I have a power bomb with a FMF Q series and I can get wheelies in any gear.

I feel that I'm much faster on my YZ than my WR. My WR at the time I rode it had all the YZ stuff on it, so it was much lighter and gave me a good riding position. :cry:

Let me start by saying I've got an '01 WR426 and an '04 YZ250F. I love 'em both.

But to answer your question, based on your weight and ability, the 250F will not be the best bike in stock form. Compared to a 450, the 250F is weak. Of course that makes sense, cc's mean a lot. When I first got the 250F, I hated it. You can't just hammer the throttle out of a turn, you really have to carry your speed. For an intermediate, that shouldn't be too big of a problem. For me, it took a while to "learn" how to ride it better. Unlike a 450, you really need to be in the right gear at the right time. I didn't realize how different that would be. For this reason, I believe the 450 is easier to ride, both in trails and on the track.

The suspension is a different story. The stock set up on the YZ is simply to light for your ability and weight. That's an easy fix though. For me, I run the YZ stock, but I only weigh 170. When I got the WR in '01, I weighed about 200. At that time, I liked the stock WR suspension, for both off road and mx. But, when I got the YZ, I had the suspension on the WR changed to pure off road, set for my new weight of 170, and wow, it's great in the desert. But mx is no fun for me on that bike anymore. It's too heavy, and not suspended properly.

So the real answer is up to you. For me, I'm happy I've got one of each. :cry:

I'm lazy, so..........see my reply in this thread about my 250f and my size (but note that the guy asking this question weighed like 270#):

You would obviously need to re-spring for your weight, though!

i think your a little to big for a 250f, your going to want more power. i would say go with a 250 2-stroke. great power, and light. or a 450 4-stroke. better power, heavyer. all up to you though

Thanks so much for the feedback fellas!

Even though some of the heavier folks have stated they like the power delivery of the 250F Im still hesitant (not into spending thousands more for a bore kit to bring up the power).

I think Im leaning towards the WR450 for a few reasons:

1) Coming from big bore bikes Im 'expecting' that torque to be there now

2) Suspenders would probably work better in stock form (short term of course).

3) Im still riding 40/60 track/trail

4) and of course..........e-start :cry:

Thanks again!