Sign in to follow this  

Oil Ring from HELL

I have read the posts about the oil ring on the piston. I never thought it would this friggin frustrating. :cry: :cry: I have been building enignes for years, and have worked for a dealership. I have never encountered a bigger pain in the arse. At any rate. I spent nearly 8 hours trying to get that thing to sit in the cylinder correct. I tried a ring compressor but it was really to big to be useful. I tried inserting the piston in cylinder before attaching it to the rod, NO luck NO luck!.

ANY ideas or tricks you can share with me. I am beside myself right now. :cry:

The piston pin bore is too close to the oil ring for the put-it-in-the-bore-first trick to work. I saw this as a potential problem, too, so I tried it a couple of times with the old rings first.

You have to be absolutely certain the ring is assembled right. There's a picture in the manual to show where the ring and expander gaps should be placed, but basically, you need the expander gap in one place, and the oil scraper gaps in two other places. The expander has to be butted, not overlapped. This is the usual cause of trouble with "triplex" oil rings. The next important consideration is that the rails, scrapers, whatever, have to sit on the little ledges on the expander, and the whole thing be free in the ring groove as an assembly.

Assuming you knew all of that, oil the rings thoroughly and smear some more around the base of the cylinder. Work the compression rings in by "squeezing" the piston and cylinder together, thumbs on the cylinder, fingers on the piston. Set two pieces of wood strip under the piston, one on the front edge of the skirt, one on the back, so it can sit on top of the crankcases. Bump the cylinder down a little at a time with the heel of your hand only. It should go on. Mine did, and without too much difficulty. Another thing you could use to help is a very small flat screwdriver bent at a right angle so that you can push the rings in with the flat of the blade as you go.

Good Luck! :cry:

Thanks I will give it another inspection and try the oil method, perhaps I have been a tad too gentle with it.

Back at it!

Finally got it. I cut a band out of my ring compressor, about 1.5" in ht and cut the material to the length of the circumference of the old piston. Wrapped the band around the piston and used a hose clamp to slightly snug it up. First try the piston assembly eased right in.

Glad that is DONE