Sign in to follow this  

Shock Spring Removal

On my 2000 "S", I decided to spring it appropriatly for my girth. I have the shock out of the bike but I can't figure out how to get the spring off. I figured this would be a no-brainer but I can't even see where to start.:cry: Do I have to dis-assemble the shock just to respring? Should I have a pro do it? If so how huch extra to revalve while it is apart?

Thanks

JL

Alot can be learned from the Suzuki shop manual. It's a worth while investment.

To get your spring off: First, clean the threads and give them a small shot of WD-40. Then, loosen the lock nut and preload nut to the end of the threads. Be careful the bottom side doesn't fall apart before you see how it is assembled. At the bottom side of the spring, remove the retainer rings and slide the spring off the bottom of the shock.

As for the valving, you should contact a local shop.

i have a 2003 drz e. i had to take it to the shop to have the spring changed. you have to release the gas pressure to un bolt the bottom. mine did not have retainer rings. kevin

i have a 2003 drz e. i had to take it to the shop to have the spring changed. you have to release the gas pressure to un bolt the bottom. mine did not have retainer rings. kevin

Wow! Never seen one like that. What did they charge you?

NO NO NO

:cry:

Not even close.. and if that shop told you that ,,, never go back :cry:

The Showa shocks used on the DRZ require nothing more then loosening the lock nut and adjuster.. There is a collar on the bottom that moves up,, then a circlip to be removed,, the collar then comes down and off.. The spring will now come off.

rear_shock_absorber.bmp

Bronco is right. I was once told the same thing even though I had already had mine apart the correct way. Sorry to say some shops can't find their rear end with both hands. Anybody can remove the spring with no special tools, once you expose the retaining ring.

youve got to be kidding.....................

Ah guys, he has a 2000 DRZ400S model, they do not come apart like the "E" model or newer "S" shocks do. There is no clip at the bottom of the shock!

Thats strange my stock 2001 DRZ400S shock did not have that set up like my 2002 DRZ400E shock did. Does your shock have compression and rebound settings?

Ah guys, he has a 2000 DRZ400S model, they do not come apart like the "E" model or newer "S" shocks do. There is no clip at the bottom of the shock!
Originally Posted by kfcz400

Linco.. not sure what post your talking about,,, but the one that started my reply in the thread was the one above,,,,,where he says he has a 2003 E :cry:

ooppps wasn't awake at the time! Not coffeed up enough!!! :cry:

Again, I say that is strange, when I swaped the shocks and springs from my 01 "S" shock it had no clip. I think I had to remove the the bottom part of the shock that bolts on to the linkage to get the spring off. :cry:

it was there.sometimes the fit between the 2 pieces is so tight it looks like one piece.sometimes the corrosion and such makes them act like one peice as well.

there is no shock that you to take the clevis off to change springs.