Sign in to follow this  

looking for un-bias opinion on CRF250r v. YZ250f

hey, i am looking for opinions and facts on which bike is better the CRF250r or the YZ250f. A buddy of mine would sell me his 04 yz250f for around $3700. THe bike is in good shape mechanically. it has REP suspension and the motor has been ported and polished. I am trying to get a better idea if i would be better off paying a bit more for a used 05 crf250. i have heard many good things about the honda, such as great handling, decent power, and a light feel. I would appreciate any info you guys can provide. I will be selling my o3 yz125 by the end of next season so i should let my buddy know if i'm interested in it before too long. Thanks for the help,

Ben #256

If i was you and money wasn't an issue i would buy the '05 crf because they are much better than the 04's which weren't bad by any means. But on the other hand you know the condition of the yzf mechanically so you aren't really risking buying a "lemon". Do you know the history of the crf?

seriously you should go with the CRF if anyrhing. I was sort of in the same spot you are in right now. Did all my research and asked around. Sat on both of them and did the ride compare. The YZF is heavier up top but has a strong engine. The 05 CRF is so light, is so smooth on the gears, and is as light as advertised. A few people will tell you that the CRF has valve ptoblems but overall, all bikes end up in thier problems. I personally went with the 05 CRF and it has done nothing but impress me. If i am in the wrong so be it but, I am glad i made the choice I did and I know it was the right choice. All I have to do now is name it.

i'd personally say go with the honda, i have ridden both machines and i love my 05 crf, and as a side note, a friend of mine has a 04 honda and a 05 yamaha, guess which one gets ridden more? he even likes the honda motor better!

If you are stuck on red, get the '05, now that Honda has admitted to the faulty oil mister on the '04.

If i was you and money wasn't an issue i would buy the '05 crf because they are much better than the 04's which weren't bad by any means. But on the other hand you know the condition of the yzf mechanically so you aren't really risking buying a "lemon". Do you know the history of the crf?

i was in the same position, got a crf. my friend has a yzf 02, he rode mine and said it felt too light.... idk whats wrong with him. better suspension on the crf, and i mean it is nice. a little better motor on a yzfespecially with ported and polished but i think id still get a crf, it does not slack at all in power i think it is great

I have an 04 crf250r and I have ridden an 04 yz250f. the yz had more in the motor but the handling was much better on the crf. but for $3700, that sounds like a pretty good deal, atleast in california it would be as long as it hasnt been ridden too much

Actually, the problem is not so much with the oil mister, but with the defective cylinder skirt design. And now for the really bad news: the '05 cylinder can not be retrofitted to the '04 without blocking the oil mister spray. :cry:

...from MotoCross Action magazine, February 2005, Page 154...

"It's no secret that 2004 Honda CRF250 cylinder skirts cracked. Even if it had been a secret, Honda let the cat out of the bag when they came out with a totally new cylinder for 2005 -- designed to eliminate cracking at the skirt."

Really? Where, I'd like to read that!:cry:

So there is not a problem with the oil mister, right? :cry: Just wait there will be posts on bunches of posts on other web sites about the "defective oil mister". "Honda knows about it but won't admit it!" It's all a big conspiracy! :cry: I love internet rumors!:cry:

As far as the skirt - "Defective" or just a durability improvement? My '04 hasn't cracked, I've got several friends with '04's - non of theirs has cracked. Do you know anybody PERSONALLY that has one that cracked or did you just read about it on the internet or a moto rag? :cry:

My point is '04 CRF250R is a fine bike and runs just dandy if you take care of it. My '05 CRF450 is very different than my '02. Doesn't mean my '02 was "defective".

Honda makes changes every year to improve the bikes....it's a good thing. :cry:

I know bunches of people with 2004's, not a cracked skirt yet. Someone in the know told me the cracked skirts can happen with a worn out piston slapping the cylinder....keep a fresh piston in it, problem solved.

With the $2k I saved getting a cherry 04 from a good friend of mine, mxaddict, I was able to get all the stuff I needed to make it WAY better than a new 2005.

-stiffer front and rear springs

-DLR Cycleworks revalved fork and shock

-shawnMC subtanks

-FC bottoming collars

-CHM SM1 exhaust

-2005 head

-all new valves, keepers, and springs to go on new head

-Dunlop 756 front and Michelin M12 rears

-SDG tall black/red seat

-spare clutch plate set w/ springs

-several spare sets of grips

-spare air filters

-EBC 280mm rotor kit

The bike is a dream to ride. Can't wait to get the new head off of backorder and installed. I am thinking a 270cc kit one day too, along with the RHC head....holy smokes!!!!! Talk about a fast CRF250....:cry:

Dont buy a used 04 YZF 250 thats been pumped and raced hard at any price. Find a stock lightly ridden bike.

I had to make this exact same decision about two months ago. I couldn't decide between the YZ250F and the CRF250. I ended up getting the '04 CRF250 new from a dealer and paid $5000 OTD because the 05 models were already out. My brother bought the '04 YZ250F at the same time. I have put several hours on both bikes and can give you MY honest opinion.

I have always ridden Yamahas and they are great bikes. However, which bike you buy should be based on your riding style and preference because these bikes are very different. The Yamaha has much more bottom end and the throttle response is more snappy in stock form. Also, I found that you do not have to shift as much as you do with the CRF. Third gear on the YZf is much taller than third gear on the CRF. Overall, the power delivery is much different for these two bikes. I am not saying that the CRF lacks power, it just has a much smoother delivery than the YZF, which many people prefer.

When it comes to suspension and handling there really is no comparison, honestly. The Honda feels so plush that it allows you to feel more confident through the corners. Also, when jumping I found that the Yamaha's fork was a little harsh on landings. The yamaha suspension is not bad but the honda really does shine in this area. Overall, the CRF feels more comfortable even down to the seat foam itself.

Again, I am not trying to sell you the CRF but I am definately happy with my decision. The YZF is a great bike and you prefer a more responsive motor than that might be a good choice. But if suspension and a smooth powerband appeal to you than I would go with the CRF. BTW, this is just my opinion and many people may not agree with me. Good Luck, you can't really go wrong with either bike. :cry:

i dont have a particular crf that i have looked at, in fact i wont be buying a bike untill the end of this upcoming summer. I just want to compare the two before so i know more about them. is the crf's handling noticibly better than the YZF's. are there many motor mods availible to the crf to make it comprbale to the yzf in power.

thanks for the help

Ben #256

im in kinda the same thing right now i have an 04 yzf and thinking of getting 05 crf my yzf is awsome good power suspension is good once revalved but still poor bottoming resitance but easy to ride loads of fun,the reason i want to get a crf is beacuse i want better hanling and suspension the yzfs have a crap gearbox especially 3rd and 4th and their shift cams also ive stuffed em twice the cant take raceing very well its a year old now and apart from the box its still running well i like my yzfs power

but im starting to doubt the crfs lack of bottom ,it would be fine if you are a begginer but im not ive been raceing for 7 years now and i like having that sorta power if there are any mods to give it better performance in the areas it lacks please if anyone knows any good mods suggest some?? price isnt really a prob.

i know you cant base your opinion on one source and without trying the bike for yourself but transworld motocross had some pretty good things to say about the 05 crf250r, and they named it the 05 bike of the year out of the 250cc 4-stokes. i have ridden an 04 yz250f but i would like to try a crf250r to compare.

Ben #256

im not sure if you have, but ask your question in the yzf forum also. both are going to be baised but go with the information you get then decide. personally im settled on either a yz125 or yz250f

The 250f yami is a popular and very well liked bike. I've chosen to stick w/ red for my own personal reasons, but I'd have no problem owning a blue 250.

I have owned both bikes a 2001 yz250f and 2004 crf250r. Both bikes are great. I currently own the red model and do not listen to any of those problem people say about them they are great bikes. The yamaha is a good bike as well. I like the crf250r better but try and ride both bikes. I did not have that option but If i did I would have done the same thing.