Sign in to follow this  

Talk about a wake up call.

Well sunday a friend from school had a bad accident on a motorcycle and is now in the hospital in a coma so ive heard. I have yet to go down and see him. They said he was trying a new jump they just built and ended up endoing. Doctors says he crushed two verterbre in his kneck broke both arms and legs. They said he will most likely be paralized from the kneck down if he survives. And that is yet to be determined since he is still in a coma. Kyle's crash has made me realize the consequences this sport can have. All my hope goes out to him and his family.

I posted this because I think we all need to remember exactly how dangerous our sport is and how we all should be greatfull that we are still in good health and most of all still riding.

Yes,

I To have known peope that have been paralized and even a local racer Killed!! It really makes you think if its worth it. I just broke my leg, and have been thiking alot about that kinda thing. But for me Im not going to go out and hit freestyle ramps or try 100ft tripples, Im just racing for some weekend fun, and practicing when i can, No presuse to try big jumps, just take em as they come, and as your skill increases. but you still can get hurt doing that, just a chance we all take. But MOTOCROSS is sooooo good, Its the funest thing a guy can do in my opinion!! I love it, and will do it untill I die.

your right it is a very dangerous sport, but thats why we love it. pluse its fun as hell.

hope your friend gets better man.

godbless.

Best wishes to your friend and his family. It is scary to think about what can happen. I have thought about getting into something else also but I love to ride. You can't take anything for granted. Riding helps me to really appreciate my family and the life I do have.

I posted this because I think we all need to remember exactly how dangerous our sport is and how we all should be greatfull that we are still in good health and most of all still riding.

bummer about your friend. keep in mind tho, that the dangers of dirtbiking are almost entirely under our control. boosting big air is only a small part of our sport.

in around 15k miles of hard dirt riding, i've never been injured. i'm crossing my fingers that i continue to ride wisely and be lucky. just like crossing the street tho, even if you ride within your skills, freak stuff can happen. ride safe.

mw

I'll keep your friend in the prayers:)

Yes bike riding is dangerous...

But life itself is just as dangerous,IMO

A friend of the group I hang with losta buddy at the El Cajon tarck about 5 months ago. Snapped his neck when he got swapped out in the whoops and he endo'd.

After all the accidents I sen posted here and how many of them are neck related I am really starting to think about getting a neck roll. What are the good mfg's of those again?:cry:

Thanks for the reminder, even though it's always in the back of your mind, sometimes you forget. I too have a good friend that was paralized in a racing accident from the neck down. Let me tell you it really makes you think when you see your buddy laying there in the Hospital bed with the halo around his head. My prayers are with your friend.

After all the accidents I sen posted here and how many of them are neck related I am really starting to think about getting a neck roll. What are the good mfg's of those again?:cry:

EVS makes a good one, It takes some getting used to, but it is worth it in the long run!:cry:

You all make some very good points. I'll keep Kyle and his family in my prayers. The power of prayers is an amazing thing so let's all send up a bunch of them for this young man. May God bless him with his healing powers and strengthen his family and friends during this difficult time.

God bless,

Robert

James 5:14-16

Sorry to hear about your friend. At 45, I don't ride much over 95% of my ability and I'm not the first to jump the new jumps, self preservation:thumbsup:

Prayers for your friend and his family. If it is any comfort, a friend of mine broke her neck in a fall from a horse. She had the same fractures as Christopher Reeves. She will not ever be 100%, but she is pretty damn close. She started riding again just over one year from her spill. I hope for an equally good outcome for your friend.

CG

i sometimes think about what would happen if i bit it the wrong way.. over the summer i got a chance to hit a fmx kicker.. the landing was built for someone who was alot more experienced then i was..picture a 8 ft tall landing thats about 3 ft wide...falling from 17 ft in the air would def. have its consequences. i think i'd rather risk it all then sit at home rotting. i always wonder before i ride if this will be my last ride, and i dont know why soemtiems i dont ride with a helmet. riding/racing is def. dangerous but im willing to take that chance instead of being bored $hitless.

Thanks guys for your comments I will be sure to pass it on to him and his family, im really sure they will appreciate it. I have yet to go see him but I heard he is doing better. Update on the injury is that he broke his kneck and compressed two vertibrey in his back along with breaking it. Broke both arms and legs. Doctors said hes will most definately be paralized but to what extent is still unknown.

I know all to well that this sport is dangerous, Kyle isnt the first friend I had who substained a serious injury in a motorcycle accident. I had another friend break his back also. He recovered 110%. Im with you guys in this though, whats the point of living life, if you cant actually live it. Thats why I ride, its the only thing that keeps me going to work everyday. Its the only thing besides my family that I love, and im not ready to give that up. The way I see it, if your time has come your then it has come. And if it comes doing what you love then all the better.

Amen thumpertalkkid, the sport is still fun as hell. I've broken over 20 or so. I understand, if I dont have big balls then I am not going to have any chance of making it pro someday. I just go out, if I see a 100 ft. quad or something, just open my bike up, and use all the preload I can get.

To go PRO you dont have to be Stupid, Doing every jump you see, regardless of the size is STUPID. Your asking to get hurt and its only a matter of time untill you will get hurt again, Hopefully not paralized,or dead!! It takes SKILL to win races not stupidity.

A friend of the group I hang with losta buddy at the El Cajon tarck about 5 months ago. Snapped his neck when he got swapped out in the whoops and he endo'd.

Check out this thread:

http://www.thumpertalk.com/forum/showthread.php?p=1345494#post1345494

Won't ride without my PCS neck guard and I don't let my kid ride without one either! Sorry to hear about your friend.