Sign in to follow this  

Reiter: An old mayhem story...

Reading Lorne's recent post in the Pics & Vids section about riding up at Reiter reminded me about a hellacious ride I did with a friend up there. It was about 4 or 5 years ago when I had my old '96 KLX650R. I was more into dual sporting then and didn't know any better. :cry: :cry:

Here's the mighty 300 lb torque monster with its dual sport kit!

KLXFS.JPG

Here I am up near the wall on another, more sane ride, up there.

edklxlookout.jpg

Ok, enough pics, here's the old story as I told it a while ago on my KLX650 list. Hope you enjoy! -Ed

---------------------------

Hey gang,

I took the KLX out for a trail ride Friday night with a buddy (RM250) and had a hell of a night. We went to Reiter, a local place I've been to a few times. We started out at 6 pm, and after riding about an hour on some very tight, tough, technical trails, we were both beat, and decided to head back to the truck to call it a day.

We didn't know exactly where we were, but since most of the ride had been up, we headed down. At one point, we took what looked to be a well traveled side trail that was heading down more directly then the trail we were on. Turned out the trail got smaller and smaller, and went up and down on a steep hillside. Trees all around, logs across the trail, logs on the sides of the trails, logs and rocks everywhere.

Glad I had a skid plate cause I was testing it big time. Smashed the hell out of the shifter lever too. Can't remember how many times it got snagged, at some point I just said f**k it and rode with it all bent up. I wasn't getting out of first gear anyway.

I was seriously beat at this point and just wanted to get out of the woods, but that was not to be. The trail finally pettered out with no apparent exit. It was just as well as both our bikes started to boil over from the slow going at high revs and constant clutch slipping.

We were sitting on the steep hillside deciding what to do, resting and letting the bikes cool down. We couldn't go up, too steep, too many downed trees, etc. We couldn't go down, same reason. We REALLY didn't want to go back and deal with all of the sh*t we had just smashed through. We hiked back a bit and found where we had missed the trail turn.

After muscleing the bikes around, we started up the trail again, it basically climbed the hillside at a pretty steep angle. The trail was more of a rut then a trail, more rocks and logs. I was seriously bumming out, as I barely had the energy to kick start the KLX, much less launch the bike up the hill. Did I mention that I kept stalling the bike and falling over? My left arm was so pumped up from riding the clutch, that it was getting hard to work the clutch

properly.

After resting a bit, we knew we had to get it over with. I went first, and just rev'd the sh*t out of the bike and launched it at the trail. The amazing KLX just ping pong balled its way up the slope, front tire in the air, back tire getting air and launching us every which way. I stopped after about 30 feet to rest/compose myself. Then did it again. I later learned that my buddy looped his RM on one of his attempts. :cry:

So that's the way it went, I did this same thing about 6 times till I got to a point where the hill leveled out a little and I could see daylight through the trees about 200 yards up the hill. But we had dead ended again. After scouting around on foot, we found the trail and the way out of this hell, but we still had some challenges just getting back on the trail. In our weakend condition, we had to cross a downed log (about 30" high), with no room to do an approach. We basically lined up in front of it, gassed the hell out of the bike, got a little air under the front tire and slammed over the log till the rear wheel slammed us to a stop. Then we lifted the rear wheel over the log.

We finally got to the larger trail, only to realize we were right back where we had entered the trail about 2 hours before! We had done a giant loop! Sh*t! :cry:

Well, at least we were out of that world of hurt.

The rest of the ride down was uneventful, I was very thankful that we had gotten off that hillside before dark without getting hurt.

13.2 miles of hell. Felt like 100. :cry:

Back at the truck, my buddy offered to drive me back home, but I declined since it was seriously out of his way, and I had plenty of daylight if I left right then.

So after bending my shift lever back as best I could, I headed out down the highway for a 7 mile jaunt to the turn off that brings me to a dirt road that winds its way through a state forest for about 15 miles, and which dumps me out on the local roads about 2 miles from my house.

I was running a little low of fuel, but it was getting dark, so I keep motoring along. After all, we had only gone 13 miles at Reiter. I made it to the dirt road just fine just as it was getting darker. Bummer. My Acerbis headlight sucks, and then I ran into some thick fog. Jeez I was thinking. Good thing I know this dirt road like the back of my hand.

Then the bike ran out of gas and I put it on reserve. "Oh shit" I'm thinking now. It wasn't life threatening, I could always walk home, but it would be

one long walk. Well, I made it out of the forest to the paved roads when it stalled for good. No more fuel.

After coasting to a stop, I began pushing along the road, it was dark, I was tired, and the road had the slightest incline up that I had never noticed before. I was about 2 miles from home, and pushed it all the way to within about 3/4 of a mile from my house, this is where I ran into a pretty mild

hill that I could not deal with. I finally made it to some guys driveway and left the bike there.

All the while I was trying to call the wife, but there's no cell phone coverage out in the sticks where I live. There's cell coverage about 1/2 mile east of where I live, lot of good that does me.

I parked the bike, and took my helmet and jacket and trudged the last 1/2 mile up the hill to my street. Of course my driveway is a 125 foot freakin' uphill slope! I got the car keys, got the gas can and drove down to where the bike was parked, fueled the bike up, locked the car up and drove the bike home. Hmmm, amazing how easy the KLX takes these hills!

I was too tired to wiggle the bike in past the car into the garage and just left it on the side yard behind the fence. I went into the garage to strip off my sweat soaked gear when my wife (who I was counting on to peel all this gear off me) announces that she's tired and is going to bed now that she know's I'm safe.

The door slammed closed before I could protest and beg for help, and I was too tired to yell. It was the perfect ending to a perfect night.

Somehow I managed to peel off my gear and clothes and I just left it where it fell on the garage floor. I managed to get in the shower and onto the bed before passing out. I was one tired pup. Believe it or not, I actually enjoyed myself. Sort of. Ok, maybe not enjoyed it, but I survived it, and once again, my riding skills have improved immensely. I can't believe the terrain we rode. Well ok, crashed/rode.

Whem, I'm exhausted just writing about it, but I hope you enjoyed my

little Reiter torture test.

Ed

Ed, was your Reiter ride worse than the "lost riders" ride at Naches?:cry:

That old Reiter ride was way worse. I was pretty much just exhausted, but not really worried about getting lost.

On the "lost riders" ride, we were up at Naches, and the bunch of us got lost. Some of us had a vague idea where we were, but I had no idea where we were. And by the time we were officially lost, we were pretty far in. That was the last time I made that mistake, of just following the leader, not having any idea where I was.

I was starting to get concerned towards the late afternoon, and then sure enought, it was getting dark, we had a full tank of gas, and half a pack of cigarettes, and we were wearing sunglasses. Oh wait, wrong story.

It was dark, we were getting tired, and we had a Naches cherry who was struggling (but in reality was doing pretty good considering he had been told it would be pretty easy and got way more then he bargained for). We were all starting to worry about gas, AND what was really freakin me out, was there was a storm coming in from the west. That morning they were predicting rain or snow. I figured if Seattle was supposed to get rain or snow, Naches would be getting snow for sure.

So I was quietly freaking out about spending a night up in the hills, only to have to ride out in the snow the next morning.

At one point our newb freaked and I was afraid he was going to refuse to go any further. My basic stance was there was no freakin way we were staying out there and that we would keep riding as long as we could make progress, slowly, but surely.

Well our newb carried on and we eventually found our way back to a known trail and back to the trucks. Froze our butts off too.

That lost riders ride was one hell of a ride too. There's more details, but I've rambled on enough already. :cry:

Hey, I recognize that guy. I rode with him once! But we only did a 72 mile ride!

How goes the new 2 stinker Ed?:cry:

Rick:thumbsup:

Hey Rick,

That was a fun ride, and an excellent bbq! :cry: How's the new four five o treating you?

I'm loving the 250, sooo much easier to pick up then the 520! :cry:

We'll have to get out for another ride one of these days and you can sample the 2 smoker. Careful though, you will want one if you ride it. :cry:

Ed

All that fond nostalgia stuff just makes me want to get out there again (after I recover from my last Reiter adventure that is)! Reminds me of one newb rider out by Salmon la Sac, on his second ride on a XR650L in 20+ years. (Memorialized in the now semi-famous cliftside photos).:cry:

Glad I survived that one, to ride again. Thanks for the great stories. Let's make some more, and so long as they end in one or Rick's famous BBQ's, I'll keep coming back for more.:cry:

Greg H.

Hey Rick,

That was a fun ride, and an excellent bbq! :cry: How's the new four five o treating you?

I'm loving the 250, sooo much easier to pick up then the 520! :cry:

We'll have to get out for another ride one of these days and you can sample the 2 smoker. Careful though, you will want one if you ride it. :cry:

Ed

Ed, you bet we will get together again. I have only about 130 miles on the new 450, Next planned ride will be the Ironman in Odessa. But been getting cabin fever and with all the snow melting, we may plan a ride before Odessa. Maybe a run to the GPNF! After the trails all open, we'll be all over it. One of my buddies rides the 200 EXC and it feels like a mountain bike, pretty quiet, nice low end grunt, gobs of top end. A great woodsbike IMHO! I'm finding KTM Parts are super pricey. Bought the grandson a KTM SX50 PS LC and it had an intermittent ignition shutdown problem while he was practicing yesterday. I have a stator coming for a mere $105!(includes shipping) It is an animal and he doesnt even want to touch his new XR50 anymore! He avoids it like the plague! He races this Sunday, so hopefully, I have pinpointed the problem! :cry: Take care Ed,

Rick

kinda reminds me of the time that we got lost at tahuya (left the map locked nice and safe in the trailer) and ended up riding around in the rain and snow for about four hours without any kind of winter gear.

All that fond nostalgia stuff just makes me want to get out there again (after I recover from my last Reiter adventure that is)! Reminds me of one newb rider out by Salmon la Sac, on his second ride on a XR650L in 20+ years. (Memorialized in the now semi-famous cliftside photos).:cry:

Glad I survived that one, to ride again. Thanks for the great stories. Let's make some more, and so long as they end in one or Rick's famous BBQ's, I'll keep coming back for more.:cry:

Greg H.

How's it going, Greg? Are you sore too? I woke up Sunday morning and it hurt to move!

Oldbones, 2ply, and I rode by that famous area in your picture. The switchbacks are some of the hardest I've been on, but we have to go back there this summer! I know Trav has been itching to go back and ride the same route we did with the Stumpjumpers in July.:cry:

Now that you have your "sea legs" back from Saturdays ride, you need to go back soon! If you don't, you'll be right back where your were.:cry:

Oldbones, 2ply, and I rode by that famous area in your picture. The switchbacks are some of the hardest I've been on, but we have to go back there this summer!.........................

Yep, I loved that ride! Very technical but rewarding if you ride it correctly! The exploration rides were great too! :cry:

Saw the post about the 3-Wheeler too. Too bad.. His first mistake was the 3-wheeler. Difficult to steer and VERY difficult to bail out.

Should not be much flak from it. But head-on crashes get a lot of bad attention out there when someone dies and I've heard of several over the years.