Sign in to follow this  

affordable street bike

I am a senior in high school, I am 17 and will not be 18 untill August. I am thinking about buying a street bike later this summer or next winter. I will be going to a junior college 30 miles away for 2 years, then a University somewhere for 2 more.

Anyway, I am thinking I would like to spend about $1500, maybe a little more maybe less. I rode a dual sport 73 suzuki 125 almost all last summer on the street. I know I am not real experienced, I have hardly got to ride our KLX since we got it in November. I can hold my own on a bike, but am worried about going from 200 or so pound dirt bikes to who knows how heavy street bikes.

I am not very big, 5'-3" 130 pounds. So that is a large hurdle I have to overcome. I dont need an ass kicker 1000cc bike just something that can get around, but not be a total dog.

Any suggestions would be appreciated, I may or may not buy a bike this year. I think I might buy a beater truck instead, but who knows....

Honda Hawk GT! Made them from 89-91. 650 twin, great exhaust note, super fun bike, great handling, reliable as all get out,etc

Very pretty bike, gorgeous frame and single sided swingarm. Very unique.

On many "best used bikes of all time" lists. "cult" bike among it's fans.

I had an 89 and loved it dearly.

A compact bike with great ergos. You'd love it. My 5' 4" brother in law did. It's the only bike he's looking at to start back riding.

Lots of them out there.

Starting at 1500 or so, but more like 2-3k for really nice versions. There are Hawk GT websites with listings of 100 (or so) of them for sale.

I agree with mindblowers reccomendation, the Hawk GT 650 is an awesome bike, problem is their cult status drives the price up. If you can find one in your price range buy it quick, you won't lose money on that one!

Alternate choices for comfy, low maintenace streetbikes in the $1500 or less price range in no particular order...

Honda Nighthawk 700s

Suzuki GS 550/750

Suzuki GS 850

Yamaha XT600 (might be a little tall)

Suzuki GS 500

Kawasaki EX 500

stay away from the ninja 250. its such a dog you will wanna trade it in by june. ninja 500 and gs500 are probaby your best choices.

its hard to find a hawk that hasnt been raced. be very careful if you go to buy one, look for safety wire holes, scraping on hard parts, newly replaced parts (bars, can, bodywork etc) that look much newer than the rest of the bike. also make sure that the rims dont look as if the tires have been changed every weekend. good luck

stay away from the ninja 250. its such a dog you will wanna trade it in by june. ninja 500 and gs500 are probaby your best choices.

its hard to find a hawk that hasnt been raced. be very careful if you go to buy one, look for safety wire holes, scraping on hard parts, newly replaced parts (bars, can, bodywork etc) that look much newer than the rest of the bike. also make sure that the rims dont look as if the tires have been changed every weekend. good luck

Agree with all of it. EX500 or GS500 is what you're looking for. Also budget for a shop manual. You will want to maintain it well, if it's getting you to school and back.

Jim:thumbsup:

Yamaha YZF600R. Awesome little sport bike made from 97-05. Usually available in mint cond for around $3k

EX500 Look for 94+.

Great little do everything bike that gets 60mpg.

Did you guys miss the part where he wants to spend $1500??:cry:

SV650 and hawk are great, but not for $1500.

Jim

How bout a newer and bigger dual sport? I rode a 92 DR 650 all through college because parking a car was nearly impossible at San Diego State. After I graduated I took the bike on a US tour that lasted three months and spanned over 15,000 miles. The bike was awesome on the freeway and had no trouble maintaining 65 MPH all day long.

I was really leaning away from a dual sport. Like I said I have a 73' suzuki tc125 d/s that I have lisenced and its alright for what I have in it, but I would really rather have a pure street bike. I want the look of a street bike, and dont want morons asking me why i'm riding a dirt bike on the street.

My dad had a 79 Kawasaki LTD 1000, but he sold it a few years ago, and wishes he would have kept it so I could ride it. The only thing I thought about that was a 1000 for a starter bike would probley be a little much.

I would love to have a bike this summer, but doubt it will happen. I "think" I have a pretty sweet job lined up working construction with one of my teachers, but it might fall through like it did last summer. If it does pan out I will be rakin in $7/hour and no taxes, thats good money for a 17 year old, and not to mention workin for a guy that I get along w/ good.

But there are so many thinks im involved in... I have a 89' mustang 5 liter, 5 speed that is my d/d. It is pretty nice and I was halfway drag racing it last summer at the strip and I might start to get serious about this and blow all my bucks on it. And I need to buy a beater to drive to college.

MAN I need to be rich...haha

Oh well thanks for the suggestions guys, I just need to get my bike lisence and take out my dads bike...if he would ever let me.

Did you guys miss the part where he wants to spend $1500??:cry:

SV650 and hawk are great, but not for $1500.

Jim

one of my buddies picked up a mint 99 sv for $1200 last summer, they are out there just gotta look :cry: