Sign in to follow this  

Would you buy a 400S again?

This is similar to a post I put on the 650L thread:

If you own a DRZ 400S, I'd appreciate some opinions on how much you like or dislike it.

I'm rapidly coming to the conclusion that Honda isn't going to make the bike I really want:

- A bike that can be ridden, but not flogged on the MX track and be street-legal enough to ride on back/dirt roads that lead to trails.

- Limited paved riding.

- Reliable and low-maintenance.

I was looking at converting a Honda MX bike to dual-sport, but getting it plated in DE seems like it's going to be a chore.

Ironically, at the motorcycle show in DC, both the Honda and Yamaha reps suggested I go look at the Suzuki DRZ 400.

Love it!! I'd buy it again in a heartbeat! The weight was more noticable than I expected, but I've gotten used to it. That was the only issue I had with the bike. I ride on MX tracks with my son all the time, and once I put in the correct springs for my weight it's worked great. And you can't beat the reliability.

If you have issues with plating a dirt bike in your state,, or may move to one like that...get an S,, upgrade as required.. Other wise, plate an E.

EDIT: ok you asked if we would... So Yes.. if I was concerned about plating the bike,, I'd get an S,, If I was sure I could plate it.. I would get an E.

I love my KLX-400SR (same as a DRZ-400S) glad I bought it.:cry: It's great bike, but it also has some limitations. Some people here have invested $$$$$ to make this a do-it-all bike, but I don't consider it a competetive MX track bike(because of the weight, but it would be lighter than any 650), but I do plan on play riding it at the track this year. It is a awesome URBAN ASSAULT VEHICLE for me. I drive my bike about 50% dirt/street and have only one real wish....6th gear. I opted to gear mine down for better off road performance. With that said, I should note that I also own a sportbike for serious street chores and a MX bike for track duty.:cry:

You need to ask yourself....what do I really want. If you are looking for the best/most reliable dual-sport bike out there right now....then this is you're bike.:cry: For the money, it can't be beat. Note: I had to get a "S" model because there is no possible way to get a non-S street legal in WI, I looked into it. Our DOT requires the Fed Emissions certification sticker on the bike and a street legal title.:cry:

P.s. I believe we are on the cusp of a dual-sport 450cc revolution, but I still think the reliablility and friendlyness of my KLX won't be beat anytime soon.:cry:

Hell yes - I'd buy one again. Still the best dual-sport around and makes a damn fun supermoto bike too :cry:

I would buy my "S" again, but if it were still easy to dual sport an "E" in this state i'd probably go the conversion route.

Would I buy it again?

It's been a great buy, and has exceeded my expectation in what it can do. My use as far as offroad, has been mostly jeep trails, fireroads, and a jump or two when we can find em.

But My main enviornment is mostly beat up type narrow roads with lots of curves, little populace, and we'll ride considerable distance to obtain.

Normally our ride consists of an entire spider web and we'll change up the direction. The search for these nice roads is part of the package.

It's not your 1970 dual sport, it's got some very decent componentry. Doesn't come set up that great stock but decent for putt putt. But I consider mine a high speed city country dwelling attack weapon the way it's set up.

More than likely I'll get something like a cbr 1000 or the like, what I'm afraid of is not enjoying it as much as the DRZ, so we may have to keep.

I am one of the folks (idiots if you ask my wife) that spent a lot of money making this bike mine.

Exhaust and Carb are all that it really needs to be real bike in my opinion.

I have taken large enough jumps (doubles and flatlanding some larger table tops) with the stock carb, to have it stall when landing due to the stock carb being a vacuum slide. The flat makes this like the MX bikes as far as fuel delivery and throttle response.

I live in CA where trying to get an offroad bike dual sported is becoming very difficult, and I frankly ran out of patience trying to register bikes that are questionable...(I also have a street registered CRF450 that I use for MX and Supermoto, but it is registered in VT)

YES I would do it again. I love this bike, and love being able to pull it out of the shop and be riding instantly. I have SM wheels and tires that are a blast, but currently have the stock wheels with Maxxis IT tires and this thing is so much fun off road.

BTW -I usually have the 17s mounted, and even venture over to a local MX track for laps when I have the time. a total of about 4 table tops for the jumps, so it is perfect for a motard version of the DRZ. Still manage to pass a few folks while on a bike with street tires and license plate...I am sure that they do not appreciate that...

All this is on stock suspension which is too soft. This bike would handle all of the jumps thrown at it much better with real springs and valving to match, but to be honest I am concerned that I might lose the nice plush ride.

Long winded, eh?

Mike

Yes I would definetely get another S model in a heartbeat......best darn bike I've ever had........and the fun factor is out of this world. The reliability is second to none as well :cry:

I would plate an E next time around. I loved the weight loss. My plain and simple 2 cents.

Dan

i sure as hell would buy another S model again, there have been times that i have been so far up in the logging roads, that if you break down, you would be in a heap of trouble. the DRZ always brought me back, its a solid reliable bike:thumbsup:

Absolutely! It is my first bike and I have abused it beyond belief. It just keeps going and going and going.

i would look for a plated E first....but i wouldn't pass up a good buy on an S. i love mine.

Yea I would buy the S again. It is NOT a mx bike, but can be ridden on a track and do all the other things you want as well. A MX bike will be better on the track, but just isn't built for roads etc imho, so the DR-Z will do all of them better.

i had so much fun getting my dr ready for the finke ,i reckon i can talk the money holder[wife] into letting me get a 05,i want one

I bought mine thinking I'd probably do 70% street, 30% dirt having never ridden dirt before. I got so bitten by the dirt thing that I'm now 95% dirt 5% street and I've ended up stripping all the S items off the bike and trying to turn it into an E.

But, before I took the deathwings off, I was having a great time on the commute to work (8 miles) - better than I ever did on a sportsbike. The tank range (from the CV carb) and better lighting is really needed on the DRZ on the street.

So, I'm considering getting a plated E, transferring my guards from the S and using it for dirt. I can then join the dark side, buy some black plastic and convert the S to a motard.

Ian

I don't think I would buy another 400S. In this state the only other bike would be a KTM. For me 6 gear is a bigger issue then the weight. The KTM 450EXC I would buy has a bad viberation proublem that might change my mind. I ride by myself a lot so the relible DRZ comes back into play.

Converting a pure MX race bike now a day for Dual Sport is opening up a huge can of worms and even I would not do so.

I love my S and would definately buy it over the E model if i had the chance again as it requires less maintenance, was cheaper for me to ensure, and i had no hassles of making it road legal.

It has done everything i have asked of it and more, absoloutely no regrets, great bike for the money!!!

I've had every bike imaginable over the last 20 years, and this is the most fun I've EVER had with a bike....:cry:

My only complaint is...no 6th gear...:cry:

I've never seen the first post expressing regret for buying a DRZ.