Would you buy a 400S again?

A while back, I would have said no that I would buy an E and plate it, but lately our state has been really iffy on accepting this. I'd hate to have bought an E and not been able to get a tag so I'll say yes, I'd buy an S again. If I was 100% sure that I could tag it, I'd get an E and kit it up.

What I'd do is look for a later version S to get the better forks. Mine's an 00.

• Replies 73
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The KTM 450EXC I would buy has a bad viberation proublem that might change my mind. I ride by myself a lot so the relible DRZ comes back into play.

I rode a buddies KTM 450EXC on the road. Couldn't believe the amount of headshake.

I would get an E the second time around and plate it.

The KTM 450EXC I would buy has a bad viberation proublem that might change my mind. I ride by myself a lot so the relible DRZ comes back into play.

I'm with ya on the reliable factor! Suzuki and KTM are in two different worlds . I have never given a second thought about my DRZ's ability to get me back .Plus I have never towed one with my quad. I towed a brand new 4 stroke KTM 6 miles out of the back woods one time and the dude said it was like the 4th time it let him down and it was only like 4 months old. One time I came up on this dude kicking away on a new KLX300. I stopped and offered a hand and he said there was something wrong with it! After 50 more kicks he was winded and gave up and asked for a tow. I told him I could start it in one kick before hand and he finally let me try. I got her up TDC and smacked it one time and bam !!! I tried to explain to him how to start his bike but I don't think he understood just how engines worked. You should have seen his eyes when it started on my first kick:eek:

Ironically, at the motorcycle show in DC, both the Honda and Yamaha reps suggested I go look at the Suzuki DRZ 400.

I'm 50, started riding dirt 1968, have registered 45 street bikes in that time, owned a few memorable dirtbikes (XR629, Puch MX175 (!), various MXer's) but had a rest over the last 15 years or so from dirt riding. So I've kinda watched the 4 stroke revolution from the magazine rack. I wasn't even really aware of the "S" until I started thinking about getting an XR650L, or a BMW F650, or a MZ Bagira, etc. Basically heavy junk in the dirt (well, not the XR650L of course, but I really didn't want another huge 650). So, I was happy to see one of the new age 4 strokes in a decent chassic. I've only had my "S" for a couple of weeks but I've covered some of the north Mojave desert trails already and plan to have a great spring in the South Sierra. The "S" is the only game in town (in Ca) for a mid-displacement light handling highway capable dualsport - I glad it's as good as it is. I hope Honda and Yamaha get the picture and come out with some great, even better than the "S", street legal bikes.

Sounds to me like the DR-Z400S is exactly the right bike for you. Keep riding it and mod it as you want to dial it in to your prefernce after a few more months of loving your DRZ S, you'll forget about the others and could care less what yamaha and honda ever maybe might someday do in dual sport land.

as far as buying it again, I don't find myself too interested in pavement and dual sport rides, but I would buy a DRZ E again in a heart beat.....DRZ the R stands for reliabilty. I'll also may find now with my new husky, that since I'll have an all dirt bike, that my attidude towards dual sporting changes as I see my trusty DRZ S sit in the garage I'll be thinking hey I need to get that bike out there more and may hunt down some dual sporting buddies this spring and summer. If I find I want my S for dirt riding and not my husky then I have failed in dirt bike purschasing. I do want a better lighter all DIRT bike then the S model. having my S as my trusty back up bike has allwoed me to take a risk on a new euro dirt bike. we'll see how this pair goes.

With the inherent reliabilty of the bike in it's 5th year, plus the added support of this forum, you really can't go too wrong, unless you're an advanced rider looking to really wring out the bike doing something it wasn't designed for.

I am a first time motorcycle owner and couldn't be more pleased with my '04 S, purchased new at Searcy, AR Suzuki. I give them a plug, because they gave me a great deal. It's been everything I wanted and more importantly needed. Power delivery is smooth, nothing like the 2 strokes I'd ridden before. MX maintenance schedules do not work with a commuter ride, especially for someone without the garage space and or experience. Mine is totally stock, fires up every time, is on it's 3rd oil change in 2200 miles, and expect it to run a loooooooong time. Hot race bikes are great, but you pay the price in equipment chewing itself up. 80 MPH is as fast as I need to go anyway. You can out any cage on the freeway you'll likely encounter.

Buy again? Hell yes!

After years of racing MX, I had just about had it with the injuries from racing....Quit racing and did a bunch of research on dual sports...The only bike I could come up with that would fit my needs is the DRZ400S. I live in CA. so I needed it to be DMV legal....I assumed the bike would be decent with some mods....Man was I WRONG.......The bike is awesome with some mods.....?

Suites my needs in every way and I still get out on a track from time to time and lay down a whoopin on the Vet novices......?

Love the bike.......? :cry: ?

well, I have had a little trouble with my "s" I am one of the few who have had the misfortune of the primary drive nut coming loose and i got to pay a lot in repairs...The bike is great I'll admit for 90% of the riding i do. I need to get the suspension revalved and resprung for my weight then I think I'll be a lot happier.

I would look at mx 2 strokes if i were buying a bike again to be honest I find i don't really use the bike on the street anyway

The DRZ is the BEST starter bike in the business...hands down.

?

I haven't had mine as long as most of the folks on this forum, nor do I have the dirt experince that they do, but there's no question. I'd buy another. I should have bought mine sooner. I rode street and sport touring bikes for thirty years, but never any off-road. (Still have an ST1100 for long distance.) The little 400 is great, on or off road. (It's surprisingly fun to ride around town. It really takes you back to what motorcycling is all about.) As you do your research, like I did, you'll find that it's the best dual sport available. There are plenty of accessories available to mold it to your liking, too. Having support from a forum like this is invaluable; just a side benefit.

with the current crop of bikes available on the market, the answer is definitly yes! I love the bike, I would liek a 6 th gear, and about 40 pounds less, but as my friend suggested, I could drop some of my weight instead!!!

The only other bike I would consider is the KTM 525EXC, my local dealer told me this past weekend that the motor has the sticker that the air board requires here in CA in order to get a plate, weather or not this is true, who knows...

A dual-sport bike is a compromise by definition. The DR-Z400S was the best compromise for me. I would definitely purchase my DR-Z400S again, no DMV hassles, no insurance problems, great ride on all but the most grueling trails, and blast to ride around town.

It has been 20 years since I have been on a MX track. The S would not be my first choice for the track, but I bet with a few suspension enhancements it would be okay to ride on the track.