Sign in to follow this  

Would you buy a 400S again?

Without a doubt I would again. This time an E if I could find one.

Yes I would do it all over again .I have owned about 20 bikes in my life and my klx400sr (exact same thing as drz) is my all time favorite bike hands down .

Its the most fun you can have on one WHeeeeeelie:thumbsup:

The DRZ is in a class of its own it is by far the most dependable,fun bike out there,so to answer yoiur question I wish I could by another for the wife but I still have some more mods for mine first:thumbsup:

I have had my DRZ400s over a year now and besides the "no kick" option i love it. When i went out searching the best dual sport the Honda dealer sent me to Suzuki. If you are going to ride 75% dirt and 25% street or less, then just ask yourself if it would be cost effective to convert a true dirt to street. If you are a simple weekend warior that wants to be able to cruise the off road with minimal dirt adjustments (engine guards, new sprockets, skid plate and radiator guards) then the DRZ is great!

I agree with Bronco on the License issue. I would still like to ride a WR450 and see how that compares to the DRZ400. I would buy a K if I could find one. Secondly I would buy an E or S which ever I could get the better deal on. No matter what I would have do mods. I like the chain cover and the CV carb on the S. I don't like the fact that the S has smaller cams and header pipe than the E.

I have an "S" model. I would NOT :cry: buy this bike again. However I would buy the "E" model and dualsport it. This combo I would buy all day long. The only draw back to that bike is the poor gearbox. The ratio is way too close. If you change the sprockets to good trail gears, you suffer on the street and visa versa. It isn't a highway cruiser anyway though. :cry::cry:

I have the lowly regarded 200 S model...well, it ain't exactly an S model anymore but I'd buy another one at the drop of a hat. It's been the best bike I've ever owned. Next time around I'll probably go E model and dual-sport it. There was a guy just on here tonight with 99,999 klicks and the odometer froze on his 2000 S...and he hadn't done that much to it. Valve job, piston, rings, etc. :cry:

Check out "Pictures and Videos" Big Island ride from Hell, Torture Chambers.

I'm the guy riding the DRZ400S. Let the pictures speak for the DRZ400S. :cry::cry::cry::cry:

I agree with Bronco on the License issue. I would still like to ride a WR450 and see how that compares to the DRZ400. I would buy a K if I could find one. Secondly I would buy an E or S which ever I could get the better deal on. No matter what I would have do mods. I like the chain cover and the CV carb on the S. I don't like the fact that the S has smaller cams and header pipe than the E.

Go ride a WR450F. I did. That bike has a strong first class yamaha motor but it is way different then the DRZ. The WRF is rumble tumble power punchy delivery.... if you want smooth DRZ like power go ride a Husquvarna TE-450...its smooth like butter large bore x short stroke engine with an over head cam design that adds to it's smooth feel. :cry:

I've got a 2004 S model and love it. I'm 6'5" and weigh 300 pounds, and find it only mildly tight with my feet on the pegs. It's also got all the power I need for dual sport riding, and can keep up with the 650's on the dirt. It's not a touring bike, and the stock seat is a bit hard for long distance unless you stand up frequently. I've had to add some heavy duty springs, but plan to leave the rest of it pretty much stock. Reliability is more important than a little more horse power. You can't beat Suzuki for reliability. I just sold my 1972 Suzuki TS400 last year and it was still running (bought it new, which dates me). I plan on taking the DRZ to Mexico in April to explore the Copper Canyon area, and have no worry that it's up to the task.

Yes, I would prefer the E model, but there's no way to get them tagged in Florida anymore.

for more comfort install a quality aftermarket seat. I have the Moose Tall Replacement seat and love it. I can easily ride twice three times as long now before the ole butt gets tired.

An E or a K yes but I have never ridden the S. I've seen the dyno on them and they are down quite a bit compared to the other two. I think they with some money put into them be a real butt kicking dually. I know because I've spent plenty on my E. I will say this is my first Suzuki for the dirt. I owned a 500 Titan twin 2 stroke street bike way long ago. It came out back when the Kawasaki 500 triple was king and running the quarter in record times. I knew that a triple that was aircooled would cook center cylinders so I gave up a bit of speed for reliability. Oh how I do wish I'd kept that old bike. It truly was a fun bumblebee. I was astounded by the DRZ's ability to run with the big boys. Mine has far more climing ability than my XR-600 had my TT-600 too. That's rough company for a 400, but it's one awesome bike. No it isn't as fast as a WR450 or a CRF 450 either. But for what I want to do I couldn't think of a better trail machine. prairiedawg :cry::cry::cry::cry:

I have 2002 400s and would get another in a NC minute. I ride it about 90% off road. The Uwharrie OHV are is where it mostly goes. Not at all a gentle place to ride. This bike is better in the rocks than my friends WR400. The drz is a trail bike not a race bike. So if you get one use it on the trails and feel free to use the road to get there (ha ha). Once the carb is fixed it runs much better;say thank you Dyna-Jet for an expensive spring and needle.

I have the S. I've stripped it down but I would rather have the E and preferably the K.

I dont think I would. I think I'd be(and already am) looking to get a KTM (not as a replacement, but as an addition)

Chances are it'll be a KTM 450EXC or a KTM 530EXC.

Possibly before that or after it will be a BMW F650(need a decent bike to ride to work to save on gas :thumbsup:)

I had a '99 S for a couple years, sold it, got the 250 for woods and an SV for street. I've still got the 250, but sold the SV and am riding an '07 SM.

Denver