Sign in to follow this  

SM question regarding forks

Hi guys.

Juz converted to SM abt a month ago. Juz had the wheels bolted on and off I went riding. Had an unexpected front wheel lift after going thru slight uneven ground and the bars wobbled in air. :cry: I figured my front end is probably too high.

Are the RM forks a lil taller than the stock DRZ ones? I've lowered them by an inch each side and have a IMS team tank on the way for lower seat height. Will that help?

Pic of bike on 1st day and is it me? Or is my forks bent?!

drzsm.jpg

Thanx!

the off road valve stack in the RM fork may not be suitable for SM riding

does the fork "kick" up when ya hit uneven ground?

fuhhyooooohhh:eek: nice one bro!! damn itchy see u guys doin the conversion!!! time for our drz outing!! kinda shy as my bike not dat nice,hehe:o but enuff for me to ride around with ya all .:cry:

Looks great. The RM forks sure are sweet lookin aren't they! :cry: I doubt there is anyway they are bent. You wouldn't miss that.

If they are lowered one inch how come the guards are just barely on the plastic guides? Shouldn't they be an inch higher? Looks like full travel.... Maybe I am just seeing things?

Farid > A DRZ is a good looking bike already!

Nate > I clamped the triple clamp lower on the fork legs. Is that considered lowering the front? But that pic is b4 the clamping position change too.

Rook > I like the fork as it is with "slower" rebound but is it okay to run it like that? Was wondering if my front end is too high up also.

i rode my S with standard height for the fork, but after doing some adjustment within the fork, the bike feel so much better.

check out the lean angle of the full length fork, without any lowering of the bike, peg almost touching the ground

8moda.jpg

ya aa.... daddy wang seems a nice name for u brudder rookie:thumbsup: .. kinda like the sweet touch to rookie:busted: btw foxy, my drz looks was miles away compared to ur sweet machine,.bro..:cry:

wobbled in air
When you say wobbled in air you mean the bars got pushed while you were riding straight? Wonder if that 24.5mm offset is part of the problem? :cry: Less stable....?
Nate > I clamped the triple clamp lower on the fork legs. Is that considered lowering the front? But that pic is b4 the clamping position change too.
Ya I would say that is considered lowering.... I thought you meant internally in the fork though..... I had mine lowered 1in internally in the forks. You may also want to ask the guys in the SM forum what they think about your problem.

Nate,

The feeling I had was as if the front wheel was lifted in the air AND my bars flipped left and right. It was very very brief though and wasn't a very exaggerated movement.

How do you lower them internally? I also got a "date" with Rookie to check out my fork once his baby boy gets better! :cry:

Rick.

How do you lower them internally?
I had a local Suspension shop do it. They also changed the seals and spring to a different rate for me at the same time.....

$60 - they machined custom spacers for the fork tube that keep it from fully extending.

Whole deal cost me like $250 or so.

I'm going to go against the flow. Rear spring too soft? How's your preload. Shakes like that come from the rear.

I'm going to go against the flow. Rear spring too soft? How's your preload. Shakes like that come from the rear.

I weigh 176 lbs. Still using the stock shock as well. Is preload set whereby you turn the big ring above the spring? I'm really clueless abt suspension stuff... :cry:

Spring is about right.Someone here will have a good link for suspension set up. Try this, turn the shock compression adjuster all the way in and test. This will either lessen the problem or amplify it. This will give you a general direction to go in. Your going to get a fine supension education from this :cry:

Your fork came off a full fledged MX bike and thus the setup could be unsuitable for the kinda riding and the bike itself. I remeber Errol's fork was SUPER stiff when he first got it in. He did some minor setting adjustments for the race. :cry: When you guys wanna go out an play again?

So are you! I gotta work man. This weekend I will be at work :cry: But I'll see what I can do with regards to the timing.