Ladies, what are you riding?

What's your ride?  

520 members have voted

1. 1. What's your ride?

• 230 or smaller thumper
    • 250 or larger thumper (smaller than 450F)
    • 450 or larger thumper
    • 125 or smaller 2-stroke
    • 250 or larger 2-stroke
    • Larger than 125, smaller than 250 2-stroke

Well alright I ride an 03 XR250. My 1st dirtbike got it in 7/02. Put a devol lowering link on it. I am 5'6" and can touch good enough with both feet. Not flat footed but enough I can kick her over even on a hill. Sometimes it can be amusing though if the angle is just right/wrong. Only problem I have is when I dump it in a awkward place, it can be challenging. On a nice flat piece of trail it is a breeze to pick up. In the mud on a hill it got me rather flustered on Thanksgiving. My husband has pointed out that the guys he rides with help everyone out so they don't get exhausted and can't enjoy the ride. I always feel bad if someone helps me. I guess I feel like I'm a girl and shouldn't ride it if I can't pick it up. That must be my own hang-up. Reverse discrimination on myself!!!!

• Replies 246
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

My husband has pointed out that the guys he rides with help everyone out so they don't get exhausted and can't enjoy the ride. I always feel bad if someone helps me. I guess I feel like I'm a girl and shouldn't ride it if I can't pick it up. That must be my own hang-up. Reverse discrimination on myself!!!!

I am the exact same way. One time I popped my shoulder in a crash during a race and could not pick up the bike. Hell I could hardly walk straight, so I let the corner worker pick up the bike. Well I rotated my arm, popped my shoulder back and was fine, I went to take the bike and the guy wouldn't give it to me, insisted on pushing it to paddock...I finally blew up and said (in a very not so nice fashion) "LET ME PUSH MY OWN GOD DAMN BIKE!" HAHAHAHA!!!

I later apologized and thanked him for his help. ? But I too put extra pressure on myself as I am the only girl and HATE being treated "special". I mean it's nice, but I am out there to race, not be coddled by all the guys. I do not want to make a scene, just because I am a girl.

Thanks for letting me know I'm not the only one with the whole girl hang up thing. I had the same problem when I had my old cars, I used to work on them and a lot of guys would act like I was either a freak or there was no way I knew what I was doing. I am not a master mechanic but I knew the basics. Oil change, spark plug change, I could adjust my 4 carbs on my corvair. (They were a sight to see 2 primary and 2 secondary) They had to be adjusted just so so they were all in sync. I would like to take a wrench to my bike but my husband is always doing it. I shouldn't complain he is real sweet about it. He cleans it, lubes it, loads it, changes the oil. I guess he is my crew!!!! Well he is the one that encouraged me to ride dirt! I was so focused on street riding I didn't think I would like it. I didn't learn the 1st time when he got me into mountain bike riding. I didn't think I would like that either. I don't know why. Maybe because I didn't think of it 1st!!! I can be such a doufus sometimes. Now that I have rambled.

Ditto! I think it all goes back to... we have to (at least in our brains) work harder to prove ourselves. I will do all that I can do on a muddy, off camber mountain to get my bike up (when I dump it)... then if I have to, I'll ask for help. My husband knows to stand back and wait for me to ask. We are probably more of the pig-headed type of women - that's why we ride! ?

Ditto! I think it all goes back to... we have to (at least in our brains) work harder to prove ourselves. I will do all that I can do on a muddy, off camber mountain to get my bike up (when I dump it)... then if I have to, I'll ask for help. My husband knows to stand back and wait for me to ask. We are probably more of the pig-headed type of women - that's why we ride! ?

Yeah, the hubby knows also to wait until I ask for help too. I have to say tho that most of the time I can get the bike out of what I got it into. (It probably takes me longer than most riders to accomplish this, but at least I'm trying and not willing to give up! ?)

With the exception of mud holes... :bonk: Last year I buried the bike bad. Almost went over the bars, but was strong enough to stay put. Took both of us like 20 min. I think to pull it out. Both of us were exhausted on that one.

I guess the only time we pick up the bike for each other is when the bike seems to go one direction and you fly in the other or when you have it suck in the mud! :bonk:

I've had guys help me and I've helped guys, it's all just a part of riding. You do the best that you can but if you truly need help someone is usually willing to step in. Karl will help me if needed but it's pretty rare that I really need help and if I don't, he knows to not even ask. Some of the other guys are a little quick to step in sometimes and anymore, I just let them but usually, they need help more than I do.

A friend of mine always says "It may not be pretty & it may not be fast but I'll get there." and I must say it's fitting most times!

I've never felt that I had to prove myself though, probably because of the way I was raised (or at least the way I've always thought). Do what you enjoy and who gives a rat's butt what anyone else thinks about it. That way of thinking has led me to be successful in a lot of endeavors that no one (except maybe my mom but she's had her doubts too) felt I could be. From volleyball to heavy construction to riding dirtbikes. If I had listened to others, I would have never had the courage to even try. Instead I listen to myself and I'm usually a pretty good cheerleader (sometimes I'm a very very mean self coach too though). ?

Mistakes are simply a way of learning so if you aren't allowed to make mistakes & correct them (like when someone takes your bike for you when you could have taken it) then you won't learn from the mistake.

• 2 weeks later...

I would love to have a 400 but I am short and have not yet found one I can touch the ground on yet, I get on my husbands and friends 400 & 600 every chance I get. -but I have to have them around to "catch me" when I slow down or I end up dumping it.

Any 5'1" or less females out there riding 400's? i would love to know what your riding.

Well ladies I am moving up in the world. My wonderful husband bought me a KLX 125 today ? It's a big step for me because I started out on a KLX 110. I am so excited. We go to pick it up tonight. Wish me luck. I have never even driven a car with a clutch before. ?

Well ladies I am moving up in the world. My wonderful husband bought me a KLX 125 today :bonk: It's a big step for me because I started out on a KLX 110. I am so excited. We go to pick it up tonight. Wish me luck. I have never even driven a car with a clutch before. ?

Sweet!! Have fun with the new bike! ?

Well ladies I am moving up in the world. My wonderful husband bought me a KLX 125 today ? It's a big step for me because I started out on a KLX 110. I am so excited. We go to pick it up tonight. Wish me luck. I have never even driven a car with a clutch before. ?

That is awesome! what a great hubby.

You'll do fine. One thing the MSF instructors do that I think would be infinitely helpful to learn the clutch, is they had the students walk beside the bike, with the bike in first gear, and practice letting the clutch in and out a little bit at a time so that you can feel where it starts to grab without worrying about balance and stuff too.

• 5 years later...