Sign in to follow this  

California sound tests

I have heard that sound tests are being performd occassionally at some california locations. My drz400s has a full yoshi, jd kit, & 3 x 3. Do you think it would pass sound testing?

I dont have the yoshi, but from what I have read the medium tec insert

for it will give you a safe 96db.

I dont have the yoshi, but from what I have read the medium tec insert

for it will give you a safe 96db.

This is true...and is the setup I run.

There is supposed to be a new TEC that is quieter and makes more power.

The rule applies for all OHV parks in CA. A park ranger can test it and give you a hefty ticket if you are over the limit. Saw a lot of people at Pismo getting pulled aside and bitchslapped for not conforming. :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry:

Thanks for the advice. I think I will get one for the peace of mind. Is it true they don't reduce performance in any way?

They reduce performance by such a small margin that I'm not sure you can even tell, it may just be in your head. That is the setup I run on my bike and I have both inserts and it's hard to tell between the two on power, the real quiet one though is significantly quieter.

I run my Muzzy with the quiet insert and Spark arestor, and it is much quieter than without, I do not see much performance change, but with the insert it is still louder than the stock pipe with the restrictor removed and sounds a million times better...

I had heard the the Yoshi with the small TEC is noticeably down on power than with the medium TEC. Are you saying that your experience between the two is similar power wise? Just how quiet is the smallest TEC on the yosh? Would you say it is a quiet as a FMF Q exhaust?

sorry for all the questions.:cry:

I had heard the the Yoshi with the small TEC is noticeably down on power than with the medium TEC. Are you saying that your experience between the two is similar power wise? Just how quiet is the smallest TEC on the yosh? Would you say it is a quiet as a FMF Q exhaust?

sorry for all the questions.:cry:

Without a doubt it is quieter than the FMF Q while running the small TEC and yes you can most certainly feel a loss in power but I think re jetting might resolve most of the loss.

Cool, that's good to know.:cry:

So it sounds like you would definately recommend the Yosh with small TEC over the FMF Q as far as performance and sound?

My Yosh is open with nothing quiet about it but I ride the street and with all the open pipe Harley's in my hometown I'm not going to worry about it. Next to a open pipe hog you can't even hear my Suzuki and I have it among them quite a bit. So I don't worry about what won't happen. I do wait till it's out front of my house before kicking it to life. I do not do like I did when I rofe a hog myself and deafen my poor neighbor lady. I've lived in my home for 27 years and Patrica had been in her place at least twice as long as I have. So I give her the respect she deserves. The one thing about being up on a dirt bike SM is the sound carries even to the front when it bounces off of vehicles. It may peeve them but they can't say they didn't know I am there. I've buried to many friends over that lame excuse. I've lost many from alchol and riding too. That one is just as heart breaking because it could have been avoided. Don't drink and ride, not if you want to be a greybeard on these things. prairiedawg:cool: :cry: :cry:

The funny thing is I am not worried about riding on the street. My brother-in-law is CHP and he says no one will bother me. I am more worried about off road.

Does anyone know the fine anyway? If it is just a fix-it ticket I still have the stock exhaust.