Sign in to follow this  

'05 525sx or '05 450?

What's the pluses and minuses between the two? Handling, weight, feel, etc? Strictly MX, tight SX style track. How would they compare to an '04 CRF 450? Thanks!:cry:

450SX is a direct competition to the Honda, 525 feels more massive, less nimble, more tireing to ride all because it has more power. To my thinking you need big open areas, spending a lot of time say over 60mph to see the benifit of the bigger bike. Example, 0 to 40 mph probubly equal, 40 to 60 slight edge to the big motor, 60 to 90 huge advantage to the big motor, small track, nimbleness, advantage to the smaller motor,

How does the suspension compare to the CRF once it's dialed in? How's turning? The CRF has always had issues turning. How does the KTM 450 engine compare to the CRF? Thanks for the replies.:cry:

the new mxa says the katoom makes the most power, but they are all close mine handles fine and the suspension feels great although i may go with

heavier springs

Guess I'll put my $.02 in. I had a 2003 CRF450 and now an 05 525SX. I have many years (32) riding experience. I weigh 180lb, 6'1" and 42 years old.

I weighed the 525 new w/o gas and it was 229lb. That is about 5lb lighter than my CRF. However, on the track they feel the same but the weight distribution is more on the front wheel when compared to the CRF.

Turning feels about the same, pretty good. Really depends on the front tire and where you set the bar position and steering offset.

Front forks are better on the KTM, especially slap landings.

Rear Shock is getting closer to the CRF. Still messing with springs since the stock one was way too soft. Right now have a 7.6-9.5 progressive and it acts very much like the CRF now.

I think the KTM is easier to maintain. I know the oil is more involved but the air filter, valves and other bits are easier. If you have ever done a CRF air filter you know what I mean.

Motor is sweet on the KTM (very electric like). Starts easier than the CRF.

Components are top notch on the KTM. Tripple clamps, bars, rims, clutch, chain, tires, air filter, grips and so on.

Guess my only gripe is that the suspension required quite a bit of fiddling with to get it working like the CRF but is within its capabilities. KTM completely missed the mark on rear spring rates for MX riding at my weight while the front springs are really close.