Sign in to follow this  

Corners - Road to Dirt

I am new to the world of dirt and am enjoying it immensely. I have one major problem and I am not sure if it has to do with my road racing technique and without thinking taking it to dirt. I find when I corner that the front wheel wipes out all the time. Everyone keeps telling me more power will fix it. To me it feels like it makes it worse. I have come to grips with using nowhere near as much front brake as you would on a road bike but am not sure if the way I am turning is causing the front wheel wash out. On the road you would lean the bike with you body down and to lay the bike down you would, on a left turn, push on the left grip turning the wheel to the right slightly to lay the bike. Would this be causing my front wheel washing problems? I am at a loss as no one at the track rides on the road. I know someone here can help so thanks in advance people

When you first switch from road to dirt, you feel like you're going to crash all of the time. Im not trying to insult you (i switched frmo street to dirt as well) but are you sure the front end is washing out? Its typical for your bike to go all over the place underneeth you, its just a matter of how much you slide.

In a turn, are you standing or sitting? Is your weight over the front of rear tire? Are you touching the front brakes at all?

I was in the same boat. I went from the 2 greatest extremes. TZ125 GP bike to CR125 dirtbike. It took me a year, actually I'm still learning. In my 2nd year of dirt and I love it. GP racing got too expensive.

I totally changed my riding style. I ride MX style now and use that in Supermoto.

The great thing about dirtbikes is that you can get to practice a lot. Of course the more you ride the better you get. Let the bike move under you and you will

get used to sticking out your leg.

I ride with a bunch of good riders of all backgrounds willing to help out.

Watch how the pros do it. Dirttrack will help you out also. I got to try it.

If you got cash go to a school. I still want to do that. Hang in there, and you will get used to it. You will change your style, a good thing. Makes you

more adaptable.

Ok, I am on a CRF450. When cornering i am up on the tank sitting down. I don't have to much hassle standing on a fast sweeper i just stand and weight the outside peg as much as i can. I feel happy with the bike moving around me (as happy as a road guy can be) Just slow corners the front just pushes, washes, whatever right out on me and through watching myself on video appear to be 2 wheel drifting and loosing so much speed. Not sure if i make sense at all. Will try some stuff this weekend and see what happens

Welcome to TT Hyper. Yes, dirtbike cornering is very different, because of the lack of traction in most situations. Look for the recent threads here in the MX form on "weighting the outside footpeg" in turns to help you get a handle on cornering your dirtbike. Hope that helps. -Mike-

I had the same problem.... I'm on a yz450f. I read so much about sitting up on the tank that I actaully did it to the point of being counterproductive. My problem was that I was sitting up too far and putting too much weight on the bars. After reading posts from others, I slid back in the saddle a bit and focused the majority of my weight on the outside peg and it seemed to cure it :cry: ... Keep the weight off the bars and keep the power to the ground.... it worked for me!

I definitely had the same problem. But right before I sold my '04 about 4 months ago I had became pretty decent in the turns. Honestly, what helped me the most was getting the CRF to handle better. I had the opportunity to ride a lot of dirt bikes last year and they all turned better than the CRF450. As a kneedragger, you are much more sensitive to it than most.

The first thing I did was I bought a front 756RR tire. This is a race compound (RR) tire and the difference is even bigger than say between a 208 Street and a 208 "A" compound. This instantly shaved 5-10 seconds off my lap times.

Secondly, drop that front end, play w/ sag, etc. You just have to get it dialed in.

Third, put the bike in 2 or 3 rd gear and ride in figure 8s as fast as you can. Within minutes your throttle control and ability to steer w/ the rear tire will improve dramatically.

All of this worked for me and I went from complete dork to running w/ some of the faster guys in about 2 months.

Unfortunately, I've been off for 4 months and I just picked up my '05 and I haven't even ridden it yet so I imagine my learning curve will have to practically start over.

+2 clicks on your rebound dampening.

The front wheel is washing out because the fork valves are allowing the oil past to fast as the spring pushes the front wheel out of the line you chose.

And get back up on the tank and on the gas sooner.

Ride-On