Sign in to follow this  

Getting better, or "de-squidding"

Okay... I know the only way to get better is to ride more.

So.... With my buddy, we ride trails all over the desert. Of course, like most SoCal residents, I live 100+ miles from the desert (and wouldn't want to ride trails solo anyways).

How are the local tracks in the San Bernardino area (Glen Helen, Perris, etc...) when it comes to a newbie wanting to work on his skills without getting jumped on, cut off, and in general, just beaten up by the faster guys? I'd like an area where I can work at my own pace without being a danger or inconvenience to others.

If the closed tracks are not appropriate, then what alternatives do we have in this area, preferably cool for a red-stickered bike year-round? I'm thinking anything within 40-60 miles of Pomona.... covers a lot of ground.

I've tried Adelanto(Racetown), Lake Elsinore, and Starwest. Both Racetown and Lake Elsinore have Vet tracks are are fun for first timers to a track and both had other beginners so I felt comfortable starting there. The main track at Racetown is also fun. The main track at Lake Elsinore had these mongo whoops that were a bit much for me. Both times at Starwest were night rides as they have lights but the problem is they have only one track which has lots of jumps and it was PACKED both times I went. I was worried that I would be cutting someone who is really fast off or get landed on by someone. I didn't have that much fun riding, but sure learned alot by watching others. I haven't tried Glen Helen yet but it's next on my list to try.

Racetown has a good "beginner" track, and even the main is doable especially on a weekday. Forget about Glen Helen, it's very "pro" oriented hence the term "national" track. The REM or "back" track there would be great but they don't prep it for Thursday practice. It's a shame, it could be very nice if they did. I found Perris to be inhabited by pro types as well. Cahilla is a great non supercross type natural track (read no deliberate and stupidly hazardous obstacles), is a little farther, but worth it. That leaves Elsinore as the good ole stand by...

One thing that worried me about Elsinore is the deal with the track material being mainly hardpack "native" soil... one of my problem areas is in the bike getting sideways in the soft stuff, and the soft rocky stuff found in washes.

Hmm... Cahilla... that's out near Anza, right?

Cool about the vet tracks. When I was browsing the proride site I thought the vet track was for "veterans" or experienced riders and never bothered to look at the photos. Whodathunk "vet" is a nice way to say "squid" :cry:

:cry::cry:

Cahuilla has more "soft stuff" than Elsinore, very deep and loamy. Elsinore bakes and gets packed pretty hard, but not a blue-groove (like Carlsbad or Saddleback).

You should try the Vet track at Planet Xtreme (Amago). Pretty easy, yet challenging, track with null squid factor.

Check out proride.com for pix, info and links.

One thing that worried me about Elsinore is the deal with the track material being mainly hardpack "native" soil... one of my problem areas is in the bike getting sideways in the soft stuff, and the soft rocky stuff found in washes.

Hmm... Cahilla... that's out near Anza, right?

:cry::cry:

Hmm... I got the other link by following the trail from proride. Is Elsinore Speedway not the motocross park? :cry:

Hmm... and BB and BW were planning to head out here Thursday and I told him it was closed so he killed the thread :cry:

Hey Brian! I f'd up! You guys can come on out!

Elsinore isn't closed. I was just there last thursday. Vet means "old man" track. Helps keep the 18 year old numbskulls away.