Sign in to follow this  

Av Gas

Can Av Gas dirty up a carb?? Pulled out the carb on my E and cleaned it thoroughly, ran pump fuel and all was OK. Ran a couple of tanks of Av Gas and have just run through about half a tank of pump fuel. When the bike first starts, I have to feather the throttle on or it will stall. Once I have made it rev a couple of times it runs beautiful. Could the initial hesitation be caused by crud from the AvGas?

Your problem may be the av gas is incompatible with some of the materials in the bikes fuel system. Av gas has high octane which is why some people use it, but the vapor pressure rating is a lot different. It is designed to combust at altitudes that motorcycles typically don't see. Back to my first statement, fuel systems use materials, rubber hoses, plastics and metals in the carb that are resistant to automotive gas. The av gas may have additives which make it work for planes but attacks something in your fuel system which then appears to be contamination.

Thanks for the reply ba10, I guess the inevitable has to happen... pull down the carby again to see what I can see

I seriously doubt that av gas contains anything that would break down anything that could be used in a fuel system. It is also unlikely that there is crud in it, of course that depends on where you got it. There are strict controls on av gas and I would assume that it is well filtered before it even gets to your tank.

Not in a detrimental way, the only thing lead hurts is a catalytic converter which the drz does not have one of.

I have run av gas in several of my two strokes for years with no problems, the 100 octane low lead to be exact. I know it does not carberate as well if it is very cold. It does not have the additives that are put in auto gas for winter use.

20 years ago we ran AV gas in our old race car and never had a problem. Then peole started saying it was not good and formulated for high altitude. Today it seems that if it's not $5 a gallon gas or $10 a quart oil, it's no good.

I ran av gas in a VW bug I had for more than a year with no problems - I'd say the problem could be related to crud in the carb, but I'd bet dollars to donuts it's not because of the fuel - perhaps something got into the tank accidentally?