Sign in to follow this  

Lost Timing Question

Alright I had my cams out to change shims and had everything lined up and marked. When I got home my son must have messed with it or the timing fairy has been to my house.My question is, on the timing mark in the "window" there is more than one mark, the first is connected with a line to the second mark and then there is a mark by itself.I am assuming the single mark or the third line is the correct mark?Also in my Buick there is a way to get it wrong by having two TDC, one on the compression stroke and one on the exhaust stroke.On the WR is TDC the only TDC or can you get it 180 degrees out?The manual does not go into any detail on either question. Thanks Travis

Whenever you have 2 or more timing marks, the first one(s) that come up when you turn the engine forward will be the ignition timing mark(s). They will be in "advance" of TDC. Like he said use the "I". But just for fun, after you get it timed, roll the engine back a ways and see how far off the cams really are when lined up on the "H". Not much, huh? Now stick a dot on the tooth next to the one with the actual timing mark and look at that. That's what a full tooth out of time would look like. See the difference?

If you were putting the cam in your Buick, there would be no way to get it wrong, either. The cam is what decides which TDC is which. After that, you could get the distributor in wrong, but that's because it's cam driven. On your bike, the ignition is driven by the crank, and fires every TDC, like the man said, so it makes no difference.