Sign in to follow this  

pilot jet or PAS

I am getting ready to for my third attempt at jetting my FCR.

Elevation: 0 - 3000 ft

Exhaust: Big Gun Full Race

MAJ: 200

No coast enricher

First Attempt:

Pilot Jet: 38

Main Jet: 165

PAS: 5/8 out

Needle: JD blue 3rd from the top

I didn't even take the bike off the stand with this setting. The pilot circuit was way lean. I could kill the motor with a quick snap of the throttle with the fuel screw 3.5 turns out.

Second Attempt:

Pilot Jet: 40

Main Jet: 162

PAS: 9/16 out

Warmed up, fuel screw about 1/2 turn out ran pretty darn good. I took it for a ride up the street and was impressed with the throttle response. However, I would like to get the fuel screw to about 1.5 - 2 turns out.

For my third attempt, I am going to try:

Main Jet: 160

Would it be better to put the 38 pilot back in or leave the 40 in and move the PAS back to 5/8?

you cannot jet the bike for what it does on the stand.you can kill any bike with a fcr with a quick snap of the throttle with no load.

when you had the 38 pilot and 5/8 pas setting did the bike idle fine with e fuel screw at 2 turns?

you made the low speed way richer when you went to 40pj and 9/16 pas.

you need to choose which one you want to tune.you can leave the 40pj but you will need about 3/4 pas.

you cannot jet the bike for what it does on the stand.you can kill any bike with a fcr with a quick snap of the throttle with no load.

I have read this in your previous posts and I probably shouldn't have used the term quick snap. It was more like without slowly turning the the throttle the motor would die. I was having trouble getting the motor into the higher RPMs. When I turned the fuel screw out, it got better. At 3.5 or more turns out the bike maybe would have been rideable.
when you had the 38 pilot and 5/8 pas setting did the bike idle fine with e fuel screw at 2 turns?

Yes, it would idle. As I would turn out from 2 turns, the idle would go up. The motor would stall at about 1 turn in.

The temps are in the 20s here with little humidity. I normally ride in 50 - 80 range with lots of humidity in the summer. I'll try going back to the 38 pilot and maybe a conservative 5/8 on the PAS and see how it does..

Thanks for the response.:cry:

I had originally run the same setup with a 38 pilot and 5/8 PAS but my bike was very lean and had a hanging idle. Would take forever to warm up also. I went to a 40 pilot and about 1/2 PAS and it is noticibly better. :cry: Right now, my DRZ-E setup is:

stock exhaust

coast enrichener gone

airbox lid removed

UNI air filter

hotcams intake

powernow

JD blue clip 3

158 main

40 pilot

1/2 PAS

fuel screw about 1.5-2 turns

I can still get it to stumble if I snap open the throttle when in neutral but I'm happy riding it for the most part.

Where do I purchase this? Now is as good a time as any. I have my carb apart for winter cleaning and am currenly waiting for a new diaphram.

Thanks,

Years ago I did the Taffy mod on my accelerater pump. Is there an alternate method to limit or adj the the stroke ? I think I remember somthing about drilling and tapping the bottom of the pump chamber.

Is the Taffy mod something that can be eliminated with proper jetting ? On our yamaha"s we were able to make adj. by timimg the the squirt and experimenting with leak jets.

I should know better than to doubt burned. At least I'm not dumb enough to argue with him. :cry: I was determined to get my jetting spot on this morning. I ended up with burneds spec.

PAS: 5/8 out

Pilot Jet: 38

Main Jet: 160

Needle: JD blue clip in 3 position.

Just as burned said, I can kill the motor on the stand with a quick snap. With a smooth pull no problem. There is no bog if I snap it open while riding. It does pop on deceleration. I assume thats normal without the CE. And best of all, first and second gear wheelies with absolutely no tug on the handle bars.

On my previous attempt, I think that the little o-ring on the extended fuel screw was not seated properly. It looked a bit deformed when it came out. As most have said in previous posts, the FCR rocks. :cry: Thanks burned and everyone else who helped make my FCR change go smoothly.