Sign in to follow this  

UK DR-Z Owners question

Hi

I have been toying with the idea of buying either a DR-Z400SM (new supermoto model) or a DR-Z400S

At first I was really set on the supermoto, but the more I read this forum about all the fun owners are having riding off road, I am having second thoughts and keep thinking about getting the DR-Z400S

I live in Leicestershire, do any UK owners on this forum know where I could ride legally off-road.

Only time I have ever been off road (deliberately!) was 20+ years ago...........

Thanks in advance

Andy

Yep, go here for Leicestershire county council's rights of way map. You can legally ride on Byways Open to All Traffic (BOATs) or Roads Used as Public Paths (RUPPs). Also get the orange 1:25000 Explorer maps from the OS and look for routes on them.

Finally, there's an organisation called the Trail Riders Federation who fight to keep trails open for riders, keep information about all the legal routes that we can ride and have local groups who you can go riding with.

As a note to everyone else in the UK, your council is legally required to publish its "definitive map" on rights of way and many have done this (like Leicestershire have) or are working on it. Check out your council's website (usually www.county.gov.uk) and search on "Rights of Way".

Note to Americans - Leicestershire is pronounced Lester Shear.:cry:

Cheers

Ian

Hi Ian

Thanks for going to all that trouble, I was surprised at how many possible paths there are around my area!

I am literally 1/2 mile away from open countryside :cry:

It has certainly given me something to think about on my choice of which bike to buy........

Thanks again

Andy

Back in 82 I was station in HollyLoch Scotland, 3 of us hauled dirt bikes over there. It's really a very isolated place they pull in the sidewalks at 5pm. But full moto gear we rode through town, it must have been a site to see.

Always rainy and wet though, one of the locals rode a trials bike. He didn't care for our motocrossers, as they tore up the ground too much.

But watching some of the motocross GP stuff , there seems to be some good riding over there on that side of the water.

Riding off road will improve your on-road riding imeasurably. You will absoloutley love it!

Before I moved to Spain 4 years ago, I used to LOVE enduros where I lived in the North (Yorkshire).

You tend to find the off-road guys are a slightly firendlier bunch when compared to the road racer wannabe's.

*** Edit: I didn't mean road riders are unfriendly, just maybe more competitive and this tends to make all concerned ride at a slightly higher speed than we can comfortably deal with. No dissrespect intended.*****

Me and a group of friends used to have sports bikes until, one by one, we came off and got badly injured. We all traded in the R1's and GSXR's for enduro bikes and have never looked back. Now, when a friend falls off, you laugh at him, rather than thinking "I hope he's not dead" (and if he is, could I **** his girlfriend? :cry: )

Whether it's trail riding you do, or if you want to compete (great fun, even if your not competitive) you'll love the offroad scene, trust me.

I don't think you will regret getting a DRZ but for my money I would go with the plastic tanked E version rather than the S model, especially if you plan to go off road. Apart from being lighter, the engine has more go and the plastic tank is less prone to damage than the steel one. Trust me, if you ride dirt you will fall off. It's just that you're going a bit slower and the ground is softer.

You will enjoy dirt riding though. Trees don't pull out in front of you and you can get the arse end of the bike hanging out whenever you want. Just get some good protective gear and enjoy it.

Iain