Sign in to follow this  

Leaky forks

Hey

The last two times after my ride i noticed that both my front forks were leaking a little. I cleaned the seals with negatives but should this always be happening or have i blown a seal. I dont tie the bike down hard so i dont really know what it is. Its been really muddy lately if that has anything to do with it?

Were should i start? It doesnt leak out fast but its enought to worry about?

Thanks

:cry:

After you release the tie downs, before you ride, release the built up air pressure. To do this, unscrew the little brass screws on the top of the forks, not the compression (or rebound..i forget) adjusters, but the little screw next to it. They are both brass, but one is in the center of the fork the other is just next to it...use the one that is off center. That should help. If not, seal-savers and new oil seals are always good.

yes lift the bike to let the air pressure out.

but plan on replacing fork seals and get new dust seals also. you can get aftermarket kits like from ProX for a very reasonable price.

Did you throughly clean, and I mean throughly, clean the wiper? You should have used brake/carb cleaner and a rag in between the fork tube and the wiper while turning the wiper to get all the crud out of there, then collowing up with some more cleaner.

If not, the grease will pick up the dirt you left behind, and cycle it into the forks again, where you'll have the problem.

There is a section in your manual that describes "swamp proofing". I read it after I had blown my seals and left $250 at the shop. I've heard that film negatives work. I've also been told that you can use Stanleys Bleche White (the cleaner for your white walls) - I imagine any good spray cleaner would work. Remove your dust seal and spray the cleaner in the void while gently working the forks. This is intended to dislodge any foreign matter. After cleaning the dust seals I will pack a little water proof grease up behind the dust seal. This will keep water out from behind the seal where it can carry contaminents to your fork seals. On top of that I've added seal savers by White Brothers. I like them because they are easy to remove (velcro). As you can see I'd rather spend my $250 elsewhere. Good luck!