Sign in to follow this  

Silverwood lake. Anyone ridden there?

I want to go to Silverwood Lake, up I15 off the Wrightwood exit(MacDonalds) on Sat to break in my new 525exc because it is so close. Has anyone ridden there? How do you get there?

I've ridden there several times. It's a really great ride. The last time I rode was last summer as it's cooler up there when it's HOT. You used to be able to stage near the dam and ride all the way up to pinnacle peak but the upper part is still closed and won't reopen till April/May. I'd have to take a look at the map to give all the road names and numbers and I'm sure someone here can give them to you. But if you have a map, take the Lake Silverwood exit off the 15 and head east. Take the "Hesperia" cutoff that only goes left. Once you pass the spillway take the road to the right that will lead you up to the damn and the backside of the lake. You can stage there or go on the dirt road that wraps around the lake and pick a spot to stage. Then take a run up the mountain. It's about a 30min ride one way. Great views. The nice thing is there is a fire road that goes with the trail so that less skilled riders can go on the fireroad while you take the trail. Have a fun time. Wish I could go too.

From what I understand the Silverwood lake riding area is closed due to the fires

They are giving the vegitation a chance to fill in. You can go to Baldy Mesa which is actually closer. When you exit the 15 going northbound at the Silverwood/138 exit there is a stop sign at the end of the off ramp. If you look straight ahead you will see the on ramp for the 15. Just to the right of that on ramp is an access road and a ORV sign. Follow the dirt road to the 3rd set of RR tracks and there is a staging area on the left hand side. From there you can ride for quite a ways. I might try and go out for a short run on Sat. morning. PM me if interested and I will know more later in the week.

Yep. Call one of the ranger stations before you head up. I called 2wks ago to see if Pinnacle Peak was open. The lady I spoke to told me the trail behind Lake Silverwood was open but the Pinnacle Peak was still closed till April/May. Baldy Mesa is a GREAT ride too! Get a forest pass as you'll need one to park at the staging area by the train tracks.