Sign in to follow this  

XR 400 worth $ over CRF230?

As anyone will tell you, two totally different animals. One produces around 30 horse, the other produces around 16 horse. The xr400 suspension has more travel and is more adequate for heavier riders right out of the box. The crf is a more tame bike and is not as capable on hillclimbs etc as the 400 is. The 400 will climb hills that the 230 wont. The 400 is faster than the 230. Thats why its more money, it is more bike. Is it worth getting a bike that might not suit your riding just because its cheaper? No. It will cost you more in the long run when you sell the 230 and get a faster more capable bike like i did. If you know you wont be an aggressive rider then the crf230 might suit you just fine. I am aggressive by nature, i love to push limits and i grew out of the 230 within a few months when i had no prior riding experience. It cost me much more to start on the crf 230 than if i just got a crf 250 or yz250f to begin with. I picked up a used 2002 yz250f and it is incredible, i wish i got this bike in the first place because its all i want and more. Its got real tunable race suspension, its got a fast motor, its light (compared to the 230f) and i wont grow out of it too quickly. You need to ask yourself a few important questions: are you aggressive and do you try your absolute hardest and tend to master things and can you afford to buy a bike you will grow out of, and then spend even more money on a more capable bike? If i had answered these questions id have another bike than the crf230 to start out, so yes the xr400 or yzf250or crf250 is absolutely worth the money for me because for me the crf230 is not the right bike. Look into a used yz250f, theres alot of them around and can be had for relatively short money ($2500-3000) and its a ton of bike. Its more bike than the xr400 if you ask me or any other yzf riders. Its incredible. The crf250 is also a nice bike but will cost you a little more.

Yes, an XR400 will cost you a lot more than a CRF230. Just like a CRF230 will cost you a lot more than an XR80. Same kinda comparison, if that makes it any easier for you.