Sign in to follow this  

Anyone have a Trail Report for the Baldwin area???

Wondering what the trail conditions are like for the Baldwin, Michigan area. I heard that the snowmobiling is mud/dirt. Sounds good for dirt biking. Anyone got a report to offer?? I may head up there this weekend. Forecast is for 30-35 degrees all week.

Thanks

Call Peacock LTD. @ (231) 745 4606

They are right there and should know what its like out there. I am guessing that there is still a lot of snow. Studs are gonna be required. What is mud for the sleds is still plenty deep in the single tracks.

Ya, I was thinking of pulling the bike out of the garage and maybe heading that way this weekend. I work with a guy that has a cabin up there and was snowmobiling this weekend. He said there was about 8in on the ground and that the snowmobile trails were just about dirt. I am in the process of reclipping my snowmobile track, so I have no interest in running it through the dirt this weekend. Maybe little mainistee or lincoln hills, that way you could run the wide track if the snow was too deep. The wide track is also snowmobile trail.

Ya, I was thinking of pulling the bike out of the garage and maybe heading that way this weekend.

Not I. My rear trail tire is toast. Needs new screws in it before I head back into the snow. And that I am gonna save for the snow chicken in March. Untill then I think I am mounting up the ice tires and hittin the lakes for some roundy round, bar dragin fun.

Untill then I think I am mounting up the ice tires and hittin the lakes for some roundy round, bar dragin fun.
The way the weather is looking, it might be pretty slushy on the lakes this weekend. I need to replace my center rear screws, but that's the price you pay to play.

woooo hooo im pretty close to being back ready for the trail again. i just got a new front tire(s12) and tube now i have to throw some screws at it, and i ordered a trail tec computer and mounting bracket. yep i finally got something i asked for, for my birthday. the truck will be ready to go sans needing new tires on friday so maybe next weekend ill be able to roll on up there and ride. :cry::cry::cry::cry:

Time, place, etc for Saturday?? I may be in too! Any trail reports?? I am hoping for mostly dirt, no snow.

Godzuki- you will love the new S12. They gave me so much more confidence in the sand. Any status on your brother-in-law??

Time, place, etc for Saturday??

I am pretty open. Probably 9-10 for a time. I rode the snowmobile from Newaygo to Bitely two weeks ago. There was only about 8" of snow by the whitecloud trail then. The snow did get a little deeper when we got up by Nicoles Lake. I was told there is not as must snow in Baldwin as there is here in Muskegon. We could trailer up to where the trail comes out by Benton Lake and ride north toward Baldwin to skip all the mud holes at the beginning of the trail? Or hit the little Manistee? Or stay close and try Cedar?

YZman, you still out? We are now up to 44 and sunny Saturday. Maybe duckboy will let you try the Z-start? I might have to try that myself. DJV5, if we head toward Baldwin, you could throw your bike in my trailer and ride up with me.

YZman, you still out? We are now up to 44 and sunny Saturday. Maybe duckboy will let you try the Z-start? I might have to try that myself. DJV5, if we head toward Baldwin, you could throw your bike in my trailer and ride up with me.

None for me thanks. I am holding out for either the snow chicken or dirt, whichever comes 1st. Febuary is going to be a looong month for the yzman. I am sick and tired of the snow :cry:

I called Peacock and they said the snowmobile/orv routes are ice and gravel which would be easy to ride with studs. The single tracks have penty of snow which is going to be hard pack and ice in the early morning but it will probably soften up towards noon. Either way lincoln hills or little man would be a good choice. :cry: If we meet at the 7mile parking lot we can decide then what's more rideable and how much ambition everones got. How's 10am sound?

Sounds like a plan duckboy. I just got a call from a buddy that just picked up a brand spanking new 450 pumkin. He wanted to goto the Zeeland indoor track to try it out, but is now in route to Menards from some screws. We will see you there. I still have room for you djv5 if you want to go (21ft enclosed).

Sooo How was the ride yesterday?? Much snow in the woods? Were ya able to ride any / all of the single track?? Dont Leave a brother hanging.

I got my rear tire re-studed last night. It's ready to go again.....for the snow chicken that is.

Sooo How was the ride yesterday?? Much snow in the woods? Were ya able to ride any / all of the single track?? Dont Leave a brother hanging.

Sounds like somebody is having withdrawls. It was better than expected. We rode the little Manistee. We rode about 75% of it on the single track. The snow got a little deep over by Peacock so we rode about 2 miles down the wide track. After making my third snow angle, I decided my arms had had enough and took the wide track the last 6 miles back to the truck. Some spots on the single track didn't have but an inch or two in the open spots. But it was mostly about 5-8 inches that we cut through in the woods, not too bad. I gave duckboy's z-start a try. After taking about 2 miles to get used to his badly bent bars, I was able to get a feel of the z-start. It would be like riding your tt90 with more power. I think I would still get the manual lever, as you could shift faster with it. Other wise you had to wait a second for the motor to come down to shift. I am pretty sure I will buy one now. Did you get enough family filled fun in yesterday? Godzuki must be pretty involved in those video games as I didn't see a response out of him yet.

It was a good time, the snow was definetly a bit heavy. You needed momentum and over spin to keep it straight. There were a few sections where we had to keep kicking the snow off of our boots once we felt the weight building up. Steve and I weren't very tired at the end but we weren't fighting a steering stabilizer like Joe. We were all getting hot by the end of the ride, it was almost 50 at the end and only 30 when I got up that morning.

Steve's new '05ktm450sx is so sweeeeet, :cry: it's all I've been thinking about since he let me ride it. With it's seat height almost 3inches lower than my wr I could almost flat foot the ground and the power WOW! That big bore and short stroke reved so quick, It's really got me thinking about getting the sx with the extra gears. Also that lower seat height made it alot easier to dodge those trees, unlike my high in the sky 39" seat height which had me zig-zaging and running trees down.:cry: