Sign in to follow this  

Oil changes??????????

I have an '04 250 X. I change the motor oil and filter plus tranny oil every 65 to 90 miles. I also make sure it is full before every ride. My question is this: Can I get away with only changing the motor oil at this interval and perhaps changing the filter and tranny oil at around 150 miles? All of my riding is done on trails (I'd probably change it on the trail if I could) at no more than half throttle. Any input would be helpful.

Thanks.

If you're going to skimp on anything, I would not let it be the tranny oil. The clutch tends to shed more metal than the engine. You're talking about $5.00 worth of oil and 10 minutes of your time. Just change both.:cry:

I change mine about every 100 miles....which can vary because of race lengths.I change my filter every other oil change.

The big thing is making sure you have oil in it!I'm amazed at the people I see here and around my area that smoke thier bikes because it ran out of oil. Dirty oil is better than no oil.I'm really amazed when I see motocrossers who do this....they get to the track at 7am, do 10 minutes of pratice at 11, a 10 minute moto at 2 and another 10 minute moto at 5.....and in all that time, they never had time to check a dipstick?

After riding my bike for several days of hard mx practice....I know I can go two motos of about 25 minutes each before adding any oil. But I have been checking the dipstick every time out to figure that out....

But it does indeed use a bit of oil on a daily basis, no smoking though when running except when cold and the throttle is blipped. Once warm it shows no signs of it...

I find the oil drain tube gets full pretty quick, high rpms will do this...no problem, I drain it after every day of riding.

I change the oil after 2 rides, which would equate to about 3 or 3.5 hours of run time, filter every OTHER oil change. Oil is cheap. The clutch and engine aren't :cry:

mtbstuff: If thats the typical race day schedule at your promoters races I would race three classes. In your example you burn about 1/4 tank of gas so any oil loss is unmeasurable. My worst case oil loss is detectable after around 1 tank of gas. I get your point though, check it.

What do you guys think of the re-usealbe oil filters? I think I'm going to stick to what I have been doing as state in my original post as to the fluids and filter changes.

Thanks.