Sign in to follow this  

Polished swingarm?

I was considering polishing my swingarm out on my 05 and was wondering how much extra care it is to have the bare metal exposed to all the elements? Thanks

If you take the time to polish it I would have it clear coated to help keep the finish. I wouldn't bother otherwise, as it would probably need to be re-polished after every couple of washes.

I did mine and I just hit it up with a brillo pad when I wash it. It is abit more work but not unbearable.

You need to keep in mind that aluminum does not rust, it oxidizes. That is what makes it look dark and dirty. All you need to do is polish it with an aluminum polish. Try Mothers, Weno's and if you want to spend the extra cash use Zoop Seal on it to keep the shine longer. I would not recomend the clear coat paint on it since all it will do is chip off and look like crap after a few rides. To make aluminum look like chrome it takes a good amount of work, the more you buff it the better it will shine.

One more question, what should I use to get the old paint off with? It's an 05 and I am just assuming that it's paint covering it now.

Instead of a chrome polish, which takes lots of time and will show every scratch, you could also polish it smooth then use scotch brite to give it a grain which also looks pretty sweet but i also agree to use a clear coat on it as soon as the polishing is complete because alluminum oxidizes very rapidly.:cry:

Again I would say stay away from the clear coat in this application. I had polished wheels on my Ninja 600r about 10 years ago and trust me when I say it does not take much to scratch it and pit it. It will look bad when this happens. So here is a link to a great product to help keep that shine for a few months at a time between each polish.

http://performanceunlimited.com/cobravalley_chemicals/zoopseal.html