Sign in to follow this  

Where can I get an Xr00 camchain quick?

Yup, mine is toast. adjusters are all the way in and the cam still turns 3/4 degrees before the crank. I guess I'll need a flywheel puller too. what about the sprockets?

Should I change them too?

Can you guys give me a quick rundown on the camchain replacement precedure.

Thanks

I'm in the middle of doing my cam chain, sprokets and adjusters on my 200. They say in my haynes manuel (80,100,125,185,200,xl&xr) that you pull off all the head, the barrel etc, then use a puller to get the fly wheel off, and maybe the sprocket if you can with out splitting the cases. I'm not familiar with the 100/80 engine but by the looks of it you may need to split the cases. On my 200 the adjusters were completly shot, the teeth on the bottom sproket were all spiraled, and the chain had bits of metal flaking off it. I'm suprized it was still going but I guess thats the XR's for ya.

From the Honda Manual it looks like you just pull the stator base feed in the chain hooked to a wire hanger and pull it up over the cam sprocket. Can't believe you have to split the cases.

I may end up splitting the cases because the trust play in the crank is very noticable!!!!

Not good news.

If you just want to replace the chain and the top sprocket you can pull the flywheel, remove the stator base plate as you mentioned and just remove the valve cover and the sprocket (dont drop the bolts) and slide the old chain out thru the crank hole. Installation is the reverse just attach a piece of tie wire to the chain to pull it up thru to the top sprocket. And while you have it off slot the new top sprocket so you can adjust cam timing relative to crank position :cry:. If you want to change the adjuster and the slider you will have to remove the head and cylinder for the adjuster, the slider you can do with the head on. I have not removed a lower sprocket so I can't tell you what it will take.

Thanks MCE. I think my motor was ridden without the screw on the bottom adjuster tight against the tensioner. So I think the chain streched and the tensioner may be worn from bouncing around. I'm gonna play with it today.

The sprockets look good though, even the bottom one. Cams must still be in time as the motor pulls HARD, but made a racket!!!

Replaced the camchain this weekend and the bike runs and sounds great.

The old chain was about 1/2" longer than the new one!!

Problem solved.

Thanks all