Sign in to follow this  

Is An Updated Cam Chain Tensioner Needed?

I have read/heard that the 2000 cam chain tensioners are garbage and tend to go out on a regular basis and that it should be replaced. Of course, I hear this from vendors selling it mostly and am wondering if anyone has had any problems with thier engines who didn't replace/change it. And of couse the big question...Should I change it?

I doubt there is any way to know for sure what the answer to that question is. There are however many accounts of the ACCT going out and the destruction it causes. The 50$ you spent on a Manual CCT is just going to give you peace of mind at least as long as you feel good about the install. It's pretty simple though and really almost fool proof I suppose.

The pre 2003 version of the ACCT has been failure prone.. Do a search,, see the carnage.. Make your choice.

Manual is bullet proof,, and cheap insurance.

The 2003 or later ACCT has not,, that we have seen in here failed...on the DRZ,, other bikes yes,, but not the DRZ.. Worth the risk??? Not on my bike.. I use the Manual CCT from Bitech

Man that thing is so inexspensive, easy to install and adjust that it's not a question of whether you should but you have not. It's the one thing that will always be on your mind and way to many guys have held the balance beams just like you only to end up with a rolling chassi DRZ because of a $48.00 part. I know guys who had thiers fail :cry: and it's not a good thing! Get it! Install it! Forget about it!

2000 model on stock tensioner, EXTREME scared should be the word!

25,000 miles on the 03 tensioner, can't say I'm extremely confident, and we need to check it. But with the miles more than likely we'll go with a manual.22k

Cam sprockets, teeth, and chain all looked excellent at last valve cover removal.

What we havent checked is chain stretch, although with the look on the cam teeth and chain from that end (brand New) as far as the look.

From what I've heard the mcct will doubtfully ever need adjusting. Most of you have ridden bikes for a while and the thing starts rattling it's a good place to check. My older bikes would need an adjustment around twice a year and a new cam chain about every 4-5 years. These newer 4 strokes seem to be kinder to the camchain than the old bikes were. So I'd hesitate to say how long it would be. it's hard for me but I've got friends that listen to my bike for me. They let me know when it needs something. So far so good on both of them. Plus we have a guy who makes an awesome one right here in the machinist. prairiedawg:thumbsup:

I just got one in the mail last night as well - very well-made part and excellent instructions. :cry: These guys are right that it's worth the $40 + $8 for airmail from Canada. I'm definitely glad I bought one and can't wait to get it installed.

Anyone know where I can look at the instructions for installing the bitech MCCT before buying one? I didn't see a pdf on Rui's website.