Do you run a loud pipe on the street?

Damn link wont work for me.

I think its a lame excuse. In my truck with the windows up, a/c on and radio cranked I cant hear anything.

I ride with hi beam on and a sharp eye on the traffic.

I've been riding for 30 years, and feel very strongly that I have a responsibility to represent my sport as a respectable one. The non-motorcycling public still has a lot of fears and biases against we who ride. You yourself made a reference to loud Harleys. Anyone who rides with straight pipes is shouting out to the world that he doesn't give a f__k about anyone else. I don't think that's good for our sport (especially DS).

Those who work hard for off-road access (Blue Ribbon Coalition, various cycle clubs, etc) don't need to have the non-cycling public stocking up on anti-motorcycle ammunition. Running loud pipes, riding like an idiot squid, wheelies down the street, splitting lanes where it's not customary to do so, parking on sidewalks, etc.: these all give us a bad rep, and the public remembers the few obnoxious riders while forgetting the scores of polite ones.

No, my pipe may be slightly louder than stock, but it's not obnoxiously loud, and I'm careful not to let 'er rip at inappropriate times & places.

I will have to agree with some of the statements about loud pipes I personally hate being next to a Harley at a stop light.....The Harley crowed and open pipes is not for safety but to make a lot of noise. But with most everybody driving and talking on the phone now a days and tunes blasting when there not on the phone THE LOUDER THE BETTER because I want that a$$ hole that is on the phone to know I am there. There is no way some of the drivers here in S.C. are able to see me when they have the back of the seat reclined "look at me I'm cool" while driving. I do hate that responsible drivers are having to pay for the stupidity of others.

I own a restored Honda 1981 CB1100R with stock pipes and the sound is vary nice. But at this time I am looking at headers to make this street bike LOUD, I don't want it LOUD but it has to be done to maybe save me some pain for the few times I ride on the street. When I truly am Dual Sporting I quit down the exhaust, but the every now and then ride to work the exhaust is open.

I had a driver run into the side of my Orange and white 76 Bronco the other year while she was talking on the phone. If it were not for the roll cage I would not be here. How in the world do you NOT SEE a lifted ORANGE truck....PLEASE TELL ME!!! Maybe open headers would have drowned out the phone call and she would have looked. Glade I was not on my bike.

I can go on and on about this.........things in life do happen. Maybe we need a Responsible Driver Coalition.

I always use the GYTR insert in my bike. I pulled it out while doing some general maintenance the other day. When I started it up, I had forgot how loud an uncorked WR can be.

I must admit I had a primal urge to blast up and down the street a few times. I did not ride it like that, but I was tempted for a few minutes.

You see Harley's running around with straight pipes, and I don't recall anybody complaining about them. I am sure that their neighbors don't like it when they come home from the bar at 3 am!

I agree with you Sabre.

Noise is the ONLY complaint about dirtbikes from the general public that I have any sympathy for. I want my bikes as quiet as possible. They still generate plenty of power for me. A buddy of mine rides a yzf250 that is incredibly loud. For two years I have bugged him about the noise issue, but he does not seem to care. After a negative noise incident recently, I won't ride with him anymore until he gets a new pipe.

I have had loud bikes come up from behind and never heard them until they were right next to my window....The sound being blasted out the rear of the pipe doesn't travel ahead of the bike. So if you think that people hear you coming, think again....It is a false sense of security that will get you hurt....

Sabre really nailed it. ?

I come across bikes out on the trail running a race pipe or supertrapp with 15 discs. It's so frustrating because I know the sound coming out of that bike is undoing work to keep areas open.

As far as the street thing, give me a break. I've seen people literally jerk the steering wheel when a bike roars past their window. This is far more dangerous to cagers and bikers. In most instances when loud pipe guys say "loud pipes save lives", they're usually doing things to put themselves in jeopardy......... splitting lanes, riding slow and bunched up with other riders, or speeding. If you look at the stats, the accidents that kill bikers wouldnt benefit at all from loud pipes. Left turn in front, entering the roadway without seeing the biker, excessive speed, riding over their head (leaving the roadway and hitting a tree). ?

I sold my White Bros pipe to someone that rides closed course and bought a Pro Circuit 496. It tested at 91 db's recently. It makes great power as well. White Bros E-2, FMF Q, and Pro Circuit to name a few have responded to the need of quiet power.

When people vote they dont distinguish between dirt bikes and street bikes, bikes is bikes to the voting public. Image can be shaped by a single incident. ?

Everything said here is very true. I run the supertrap EAR right now and heck i even run it in the dez races! I did get ou tdragged by a new 450 on a dry lakebed last weekend but passed him about 3 miles later anyways. Pullin up next to him i couldn't even hear my bike!!!

I do have one neighbor who still complains abou tmy bike being too loud but the guy is just a jerk. Cant wait to try ou t that new fmf Q, anyone running it?

you know i was sitting at a light with my dr650 supertrapp 8 disks. some asshat mexican was whining about my pipe while yapping on his cell phone. ? how many times have i had to listen to some tejono music garbage or whatever at a stoplight from someone just like him how dare he ?

I was gonna say the same thing,drivers cant even see or hear my police car rolling code 3 with red lights,strobes and dual sirens theres no way a loud pipe is going to make a diffrence. I like a good sounding exhaust as much as anyone weather its on a car,truck,thumper or harley but when its just stupid loud the tickets start flying and the same goes for those crazy loud stereos.

most definitly-950 w/ fmf qs sounds like a ducatti

the sound of a loud but not too loud twin is one of the seven wonders of the world---not that harley cheese though,,,just kidding

I don't particuraly like the sound of my harley, so no offense taken ? The best absolute sound is a loud TL1000,something about that lumpy idle and deep exhaust note with the pulses mixed in, I honestly think that is THE best sounding motorcycle ever made.