Sign in to follow this  

went from XR400 to CRF250X

i've been lurking here trying to decide if i wanted to sell my xr400 for the 250x for months and i finally did it.

wow! what a difference in ride. at first i had a hard time getting use to the handling. i was always over sterring cause it steered so much easier than the 400. i've only had 2 rides on the 250 but damn am i glad imade the change. everything is so much easier to do except deep sand.

here is a pic of the 250X

http://www.pmbc.org/gallery/albums/album06/CRF250x.jpg

and this is what it replaced

http://www.pmbc.org/gallery/albums/album06/My_XR400.jpg

everything is so much easier to do except deep sand.
I made the same change a couple of months back and couldn't be happier. BTW, great looking bikes:thumbsup: . Starting from my typical "track" type suspension settings, I've found that increasing the race sag about 0.25" and increasing comp/reb dampings f&r about 1-2 clicks makes it good to go for sand. As for power, IMHO you can't go wrong with the CCC mods for sand.

I went from an XR400 to a 250X also, and I don't know if I would have appreciated the 250x if I hadn't riden an XR first. The XR is definitely "old school".

I too went from an XR400 to a CRF250R. I wanted to go Supermoto racing and the XR would have been far to heavy (and slow).

I love my new ride, Especially with the new engine mods;)

I too went from an XR400 to a CRF250R. I wanted to go Supermoto racing and the XR would have been far to heavy (and slow).

I love my new ride, Especially with the new engine mods;)

What types of mods do you have?

Hey guys, I'm thinking about MAYBE making the switch from xr4 to crf250x, and was wondering about a few things...

Sounds like all of you definitely like it, but WHY specifically? I know the suspension has to be better, that's a given... Looks like a "modern" bike compared to the 400, etc.

But when it comes to the power and torque of your 250's vs. xr400, take a look here:

http://www.rickramsey.net/CRF250Xlg/HpTorque.jpg

If the 250X is anything like the R, the 400 seems to beat it pretty easily in both depts...

The 400 makes substantially more torque, at lower RPMs, and while it makes slightly less power than your 250s, it gives you peak power at 3,000 RPMs lower than the 250.

I've never ridden the 250, but it just seems from the numbers that the 400 is better suited power-wise for the kind of 2nd - rarely 3rd gear, tight twisty riding I like to do. Heck, at the engine speeds I typically ride, my XR puts out double the power of the 250X!

(I'm 6'2" and 230 lbs, so the whole power thing is important to me.)

Am I missing something? Please explain why I should make the switch? If you could give me SPECIFIC reasons and riding impressions about why you like the 250X over the xr400, that would help a lot. Thanks.

Another biggie for me: Are you actually faster on the 250X? If so, why do you think?

Hey guys, I'm thinking about MAYBE making the switch from xr4 to crf250x, and was wondering about a few things...

Sounds like you like definitely like it, but WHY specifically? I know the suspension has to be better, that's a given.

But re: the power and torque of your 250s vs. the 400, take a look here:

http://www.rickramsey.net/CRF250Xlg/HpTorque.jpg

If the 250X is anything like the R, the 400 seems to beat it pretty easily in both depts...

It makes substantially more torque, at lower RPMs, and while it makes slightly less power than your 250s, it peaks out at 3,000 RPMs lower than the 250.

First, let's discuss hp as that is what accelerates you once you're under way, not torque. I've addressed my view of this in a previous thread. The X power curve is not like the R in stock configuration, it makes less peak power and makes peak power at a lower rpm. But let's talk about the R because I've converted my X to R specs (CCC mods). The R engine crosses 25 hp at around 7,500 rpm and never dips back below up to 13,500 rpm. That's a range of 6,000 rpm where you're making more than 25 hp. The XR crosses that line at 5,500 and comes back down at around 9,500 rpm for an rpm band of about 4,000 rpm. The different rpm ranges are not an issue when each bike is properly geared. By that, I mean that the bikes are geared to apply the power to the ground at the bike speeds you are most interested in. With proper gearing, a broad power band is a big plus for rideability and my CCC X has my old XR covered. It was my experience that when both bikes were properly geared, my X had no problem out-powering my Gordon'ed XR400 in almost any situation. The XR was probably better at lugging down to absolute idle without bogging; that's not something I ever find myself wanting to do.

I've never ridden the 250, but it just seems from the numbers that the 400 is better suited power-wise for the kind of 2nd - rarely 3rd gear, tight twisty riding I like to do.

I'm 6'2" and 230 lbs, so the power thing is important to me.

An XR power curve may in fact be better for you. But if overall useable power is important to you, it's hard to make a case that a Gordon'ed XR400 is superior to a CCC X, IMHO.

Am I missing something? Please explain why I should make the switch? If you could give me SPECIFIC reasons and riding impressions about why you like the 250X over the xr400, that would help a lot. Thanks.

I wrote up a pretty comprehensive XR vs X comparison in this post. To sum it up, the CCC X power delivery is superior to that of the XR (in my opinion), the suspension really works (for me), the darned X just goes where I point it - even at white knuckle speeds and even though it's not, my X feels 30 lbs lighter than my XR did. In the end, you're a pretty large hombre for the 250X and it just may not be the bike for you. But I bet you'd really dig the CRF450X.

XRMIKE.....If you like to ride Troll Trail at Hollister then you would LOVE the 250X. You could ride Troll Trail for twice as long before getting tired as you would on an XR400. The 400 is overkill on this terrain. On these kinds of trails it's not about how much HP or torque the bike has, it's about having control. Troll Trail is fun to ride with a light, nimble & peppy bike like the 250X.

Wow, skipn8tr, thanks a lot, guy. :cry: Great response, and you've given me a lot to read and consider with all the other links you've provided...

I suspect, bottom line: I'll need to ride the CR250X to make a final decision. You're right about the gearing part too -- I'd forgotten that you can move the delivery of that "range" down lower with the right sprockets... One last thing -- I'm 230 lbs now, but my goal is to get back down to 205 or so by summer. I imagine that'll make the 250 even more attractive to me.

Thanks again for your great reply.

Gadget! :cry: I did Troll trail about a year ago on the XR4, during a 90 degree day, and it killed me after about 30 minutes... I had to pull off to the side and rest. When I took my helmet off, a tiny stream of water (sweat actually!) poured out of my helmet for 15 seconds. I was pretty much done for the day, and took the next turn out to get off... I'm not in great shape and that's one of the reasons I was thinking about making the switch to a lighter bike w/lower COG -- so I can do more miles before I'm worn out.

I can do Pete's path and Jay Way and all the other black diamonds all day long, but that Troll trail is a killa!

PM me prior to the next time you come down here to ride. I'll meet you out there buddy, and you can show me how it's done!

What types of mods do you have?

I started out with just the basics, 17" wheels, braking 320mm brake kit and revalved suspension.

Near the end of the season, when I thought some extra HP would help, I added an m4 exhaust, and modded the airbox.

A month ago I did the top end with a JE High Comp. piston and head work. I threw it on the dyno and things are looking good!

I have ridden it on the ice the last couple weekends and all I can say is :cry: !

• Like 2

skip has done a great job of explaining everything. :cry:

it was actually his posts that convinced me that it was the right move for me. so skip, thanks for ur fine posts. :cry:

• Like 2

skip has done a great job of explaining everything. :cry:

it was actually his posts that convinced me that it was the right move for me. so skip, thanks for ur fine posts. :cry:

Glad my thoughts were helpful. BTW, sounds like you like the X as much as I do. Fantastic bike, IMHO. Now, about your CCC mods........... :cry:

i am happy with the bike as it is right now. plus, i'd rather have the better low end of the x cam for the moment. the only mods i have so far are devol rad guards and skidplate, the one industry graphics, and gonna be adding a pro circuit 496.

Its funny to see the same names I used to see around the XR250/XR400 forum now posting fresh stuff over here about their new CRF-X's

I'm a slow and careful decision maker, been thinking about the next ride for a few seasons. I love my XR4, and will be riding it for the rest of the season. But I've gone over the edge and will be riding the 250X next season.

I can understand fully why there are so many comparisons from the XR to the CRF-X.....not because they had the same design goals, but more because the same guys who rode and loved the XR's are now riding and loving their new CRF-X's.

I'm psyched that Honda did such a good job with this bike, looking forward to riding this nimble pony next season !

be seeing more of you around here ...

-Russ

• Like 2

Excellent comparison by Skip...thanks. Two months ago, I made the "leap of faith" also without trying the CRF-X. Hill climbing was my concern prior to the leap. I can say that the X out does the XR! It must be a combination of lighter, more nimble, placing the bike were you want it, and snappier throttle of the X that out shines the XR. I truly am surprised with the low torque and apparent HP of the X. A buddy called my XR a "trail whale." I now understand!

• Like 2

I had an xr250. Then rode my buddies 250x.. bought one w/in a week. This summer while riding in PA I let someone ride my bike for 5 min. he bought an 250x soon after. Lastly my friend in Kent Ohio rides a cr125 but bought a crf450r. Had fun with it but wore him out doing woods riding. He took my x out for about 1/2 hr and he has now sold both his bikes and looking for a used 250x. If anybody knows of one PM me fast. he has the money and wants to buy one yesterday.