Sign in to follow this  

400 EXC Won't Idle

My 2002 400 EXC won't start or idle correctly.:cry: I had the carb. gone over and cleaned. Did not help. After I get the bike started, it sputters/runs rough on the low end/low rpm's and won't idle - it dies. :cry: It seems to run better when warmed up and at the higher rpm's but still won't idle/runs rough at low rpm's. Also, it starts easier when warm/hot. Any help would be appreciated. :cry:

Is this a new condition, or something that has happened since day one? To me it sounds like a lean condition since it wants to run better when it's hot. Possible causes...

Air leak

Cold temperatures

Misadjusted fuel screw

Dirty pilot jet

Also check your valve adjustment and compression.

it is a new condition. The bike has sat around for a bit. I am trying to fix it for a friend so I don't know all the history. The carb was just professionally cleaned. Screw is out 1 1/2 turns, and the pilot was clean but I went ahead and replaced it with a new one. It's a #170. The bike is in my garage at 55f and still won't start easily. The valves are my next check. I am beginning to suspect that they are tight....

thanks!

170 pilot?? Pilot should be a #48, main is a 170ish. I suspect your pilot is plugged. Remove it and hold it up to the light, options are:

1: A clear sharp light thru the hole? = OK

2: Blurry light?? = water in the gas, you can clean it and have it plug again

3: No light? = not going to start or idle well.

opps, you're right. I meant the main. I will check the pilot again - more carefully. I changed out the fuel but it could be water. thanks for the advice.