Sign in to follow this  

Lower seat

I came accross this article about lowering a dirt bike seat. I don't know if it has been talked about or not. I'm not tempted - both feet flat on the ground now.

http://www.off-road.com/dirtbike/tech/lowerseat/

i believe a few here have lowered their seat height.

i just finished my 2nd seat last weekend.

for me the lower(to a point)the better as i'm only 5'8".

i didn't use a hacksaw blade, but i'm sure there are many ways of going about it.

I can touch, but barely get the balls of my feet down and have been thinking another 1"+ would be nice. I have thought about cutting it down, but have been afraid of butchering it. However this makes it sound easy enough even for me:o Does it make the seat a lot less comfy if you take 1"+ off? I mean it's so cushy and plush right now that I would hate to mess it up:rolleyes:

I shaved off between 1.5 to 2 inches of seat foam height.

To compensate for the thinner foam padding after shaving the seat dow,. I simply glued some similar density foam on the sides where you contact the seat, to widen it by approximately 1.5 inches total. That way, I regain comfort by spreading the pressure across a larger area of my... anatomy :cry:

Wider sounds good too. Where do you get the foam? or can you just use the pieces that you cut off.

If you manage to save the pieces cut off, they'll do well; otherwise, contact a local furniture manufactureer or refurbisher, he'll find the same foam density.

Glue the strips, let it set, and carve the seat with a wire wheel grinder; carefully, cause it'll sink in like in butter!