To XR400 riders

do yourself a favor. buy the xr. if you will just be doing trail riding it will be great, not too heavy for me. I am 5'11" 170 and probably not in the best of shape. i like my xr400. but then again I have never been one to need to be spoon fed and ride around on a 50 hp magic carpet. if i fall down I pick up the bike. if i can pick up a bike that weighs 240, i can pick up a bike that weighs 260....... rant off.

Make no mistake ,it's tall ,i'm 6'1" and 220 lbs andcan just touch the floor with tip toes ...just.It is a bit heavy at 18-19 st but it doesnt feel like it untill you have to pick it up or steady it on uneaven ground. It is torquey though and with the right tyre pressure(for traction) and the gordon mods will wheelie in 2nd and 3rd with only shifting your weight back and/or a pull on the bars,not a benchmark evaluation criteria but good fun!! I was happy with it untill i let some air out of the tyres after road use only to find that they'd been too hard by far for the dirt and now i'm ectatic ? from a wheelspin machine to a tractor in one move ? :cry: (12 psi is the optimum.....)

I don't regret buying it for a moment , if you want an: ultra reliable, low maintanence ,do almost anything ,grunty ,quality,crash resistant(no rads.) time proven,dirt bike thats quicker in a straight line than a 125 2 smoke and aren't looking to use it on a mx track more than a few times (although it copes quite well,)then i dare say you've found your boy .Sure there's quicker ,lighter, more modern, complex ,bikes out there but there is a price to pay in terms of money, reliability ,crash resistance, maintenance, etc.There is a good reason they are so popular , they are good at what they do ,see first sentance this para.

None of the trails I ride are wimpy and my 02' XR4 hauls my 6' 300lb a$$ up most anything. I have trouble in sand and steep gravel stuff, but have been everywhere my buddies go with the WRFs and the like.

Rider ability is my limiting factor not the bike.

I do not think the bike is too tall as I am on my toe, but you shouldn't be putting your feet down anyway:p

i am 6'1" and 254lbs. i have lost about 16 pounds the last few weeks and plan to get around 200 lbs. i cant wait to get around that weight so my hp/lb ratio is better. and have no worries about riding a bike that weighs more than me.

i can pick the bike up with one arm and hold it over my head (jk), you will learn to deal with the weight. buy it buy it buy it:thumbsup:

i am 6'1" and 254lbs. i have lost about 16 pounds the last few weeks and plan to get around 200 lbs. i cant wait to get around that weight so my hp/lb ratio is better.
I know exactly what you mean!

For awhile last year I was down to 205/210, and it was the PERFECT weight for my height... I felt good, could run again without my knees hurting. I could even do roll-on wheelies on the XR, that's what I miss the most, I think. Carrying an extra 30 pounds around makes a big difference. Gotta lose the poundage. Good luck to you.

I'm 509# and 190".

Oops, I mean I'm 5'09" and 190#. Yeah that's better. And I'm nearly 54 years old.

The 400 has loads of grunt, and the soft springs let me get my feet (or at least one foot) down as much as I ever want to. As far as weight, just go to the shop, take one off the side stand and lower it down to about a 45 degree angle. Then lift it up again. Next, try that test with any old CBR/VFR/ZX/YZ or any other kind of street bike. I guaranty you - the XR will feel light as a feather.

I had a spill and wrenched my left leg/knee pretty good once. It was hard to stand up, but lifting the bike was no problemo. Kick starting it while balancing on my injured leg was "interesting," though. Good thing it starts on the first kick!

I know this subject has been beat to death here but.......I'm stuck between the xr250 and xr400. When you guys say you are riding trails, What kind of trails? I am 6'2" 180lbs I ride mostly Walker valley a local spot in the north west. The trails are pretty tight, mostly 2nd gear. Some times 1st gear in rutted mud with roots and stumps. I sometimes seem to find my bike on top of me. So the weight of the bike comes into play.? I am currently riding a 88 xr250. The power is fine until I get to the fire roads (which I hate to ride on:snore: ) or when I want to wheelie through a long puddle. I rode a xr400 in the same trails a week ago and was pleasantly surprised at how well balanced it felt. But when jumping, changing direction quickly, or picking the bike up out of a mud hole you could feel the extra almost thirty pounds. But damn the power sure is nice. you don't have to use so much body english to get the front end up like on the 250. So for now (today) it seems like it's a 250 for me. I need a newer one though, the drum brakes suck ass. Anyone have a 98 or newer xr250 to sell me in WA.?

? I love my XR!

I needed the extra grunt to haul my fat butt around. At 6'5" and 265 lbs I ain't no spring chicken. Think Foghorn Leghorn! ?

The XR is bullet proof! It's never broken down. Never. I've crashed that beast more times than I can count. Broken bones and 2 sets of Renthal bars. That thing just asks for more. I've gotten lost in the desert, hours from anywhere, and that XR just motors through. (I was scared shitless!)

But it's a trail bike. A very capable trail bike. You'll have loads of fun and a very good time owning that bike. I know I have. ?

A chime from the shorter side of the group, 5'7" 185lb here super short legs and I love my xr400. Have friends with crf450s and I will walk right past them on super technical hill climbs will also pull away on a wash (definately not from the start though). Everyone I ride with is 6'+ and they all wonder how the hell I can handle the bike. Determination! ok and a shaved seat but dont tell them that they still havent figured it out yet. If you think it is heavy start working out but then again most bikes in that displacement are over 225 anyhow arent they? Good luck