Sign in to follow this  

High Intensity Interval Training

I was wondering if anyone knew much about this kind of training and some routines to start with? I do alto of cycling now and have heard that this is a good way to really get the heart in shape. I have a heart rate monitor and was just curious what a good HIIT training routine looks like. Thanks

I think HIIT is where you push your heart rate up to 80% of max heart rate, then cool down. Then work up to 85%, cool down, then up to 90%, then cool down etc. etc. For joggers I think it is called hill training, and yeah I've read it is THE best way for serious enthusiasts to get their heart in shape. I've heard that you're supposed to take a day off or have a couple of easy exersice days after the interval training day cause it really takes it's toll on the body. Runners do this training to help them go faster.

Thank you for the response MrG. Anyone else have any info or a good routine to start using? Thanks

If you pedal alot then get a good computer that gives you HR, Cadence,

Timer etc... Use a trainer or rollers and do your winter intensity work there.

a example would be a 15 min. warm up followed by 6X3 min. at 90+ rpm with

a 1 min rest in between.

You can do the same outside but it's easier to measure inside. Outside hills

and landmark sprints are good intensity workouts. Pick a landmark, telephone

pool, sign, house, etc... and sprint as hard as you can toward it. cool down and rest when you hit your mark. Those can be thown into a longride

to break things up.

have fun:D

If you're a cyclist, warm up with 15-20 minutes of riding at 65-70% of max. heart rate spinning at 100rpm. Shift into a higher gear,maintain pedal cadence, with heart rate of 85% of max for 2 minutes. Spin easy for 1 minute and then do it again. Repeat 6-10 times. Throw up as necessary. Spin easy for 15-20 minutes to cool down.Go home and brush your teeth. Do only 2 times per week, and only if your legs feel good, tired legs need more rest. After four weeks you should stop and do more long distance work to absorb the training and to prepare for the next cycle.

If you're a runner, enter a 5k race to get a personal best race pace. Go to a running track, warm up thoroughly and then run a series of 400m repeats with light jogging or walking for 1 minute in between. When you can no longer maintain your 5k pace you are done, cool down and go home. Same restrictions apply, twice a week with fresh legs, for no more than a month.

Godd luck. :cry:

yamablueballz, thanks for the info :cry: . I am more a cyclist due to bad knees. One question,when you say,

After four weeks you should stop and do more long distance work to absorb the training and to prepare for the next cycle.

What heart range should I be in during this? And as far as not doing it for more than a month, should something like this be done on an every other month basis? More, Less? Thanks again.

You reach a point where your body can't readily absorb high intensity training. Four weeks is just a general figure, you may be able to do more, but the end result is the same. If you do too much you just get more tired.

When you're done with the four week training cycle, go for a week or two at70% of max heart rate, this is to give you a physical and mental break so you can go back and do it all again. Hope that helps.

Interval training is primarily used to increase speed for sprinters. High intensity interval training (HIIT) means using a higher percentage of your VO2 Max, i.e. 85% and up.

The work-relief ratio is key. For shorter distances (i.e. 40yd dash) approximately 1:5 -1:6. That is 40yd sprint @ 90% Jog 200 (40x5) or 240 (40x6) meters. Repeat. A formula for longer distance would be approximately 1:3 or 1:4 for 400 meters, and about 1:1 for the longer distances. However, this type of training would be of little help for increasing endurance for events as long as a moto. It may find its place in training for segments on the track if applied on the bike in theory.

You'd be better off training for endurance in the higher reaches of your heart rate found on your HR monitor. It's likely you'll average in the 75-85% HR max anyway during a moto. If your HR is staying higher, you'll be riding on your rear cause your legs are jello and your arms are pumped.