Sign in to follow this  

XR100 115 cc Takegawa Kit Help

I have a YZ/XR100 conversion bike that I have put a Takegawa 115cc Superhead kit on. So far,I haven't been real impressed with the power. It runs good, but not great. I read a lot of the posts here and you all seem to like the 115cc kit. A lot of my buddies have the Engine Only 120cc kit and they seem to run WAY better. I have put the 200x carb on, DMC pipe, stock airbox w/ lots of breather holes so it should be breathing OK. The motor is a 1981 with points ignition. I am not sure if the ignition could be holding it back or not nor can I find cam spec's for the kit to see if cam timing could be the issue. Does anyone know if the Kitaco or even a stock CDI ignition makes that big of a difference?

I can tell you that the beat 115 kitted motor I just bought, is much faster than a stock xr80 or xr100. I don't even have the superhead version or a rev box

Remember it aint gonna be faster than any 2 smoke even a 65 will stomp it on the pipe I bet. On the other hand the powerband is smooth and pull good from idle on up. I presume the superhead will give a better top end rush.

With 80 gearing the wheel pulls straight up in 3 and 4 gears.

The 80 motor only did it in 2nd.

You should have way more power. I would suggest new points at least, convert to CDI or a Kitaco Inner Rotor CDI kit. The Kitaco is the way to go and they rip. You need the "right" kit for the early XR100 points motor.