Sign in to follow this  

CRF 450 for the trails

I just bought a 2002 CRF 450 with that has some mods such as full yoshimira exhaust and re-valved suspension. I'm looking to make it into more of a trail bike for cruising through the woods and following cow trails. Any recommendations on what i should do? Has anyone ever had any problems with over heating? Thanks

I added a 51 tooth rear sprocket and got good on the clutch. I have overheated it once and that was on miles of goat trails with a buddy who loves that stuff.

They work great on all trails once you get used to it. Have fun!

I would look into an external oil resivoir, (Baja Designs makes one) that adds more oil to the bikes capacity and helps with the temperature. I also would look into after market fly wheels or fly wheel weights. The light fly wheel it comes with makes it rev fast but you don't get as much bottom end that you need for trail riding on technical stuff. Also play around with some different sprockets too.

My 02 overheated only once. It was on a tight MTB trail at about 12,000 feet of elevation. It really wasn't that big of a deal.

I'd suggest a good skidplate to protect that sweet motor. Otherwise, just play with the clickers to make it plush and try different rear sprockets to make the power delivery suit your tastes.

You could spend thousands turning your CRF into an XR 400, but the bike is awesome for the trails right out of the box.

In my book the best mod is a autoclutch. With the CRFs tall 1st gear and light flywheel it takes an expert touch at the clutch lever to prevent stalls when the going get gnarly.