Sign in to follow this  

xr 80 bog ?

I have an 02 xr80 that bogs and tries to cut out if the throttle is opened quickly, (when opening more than half throttle). It seems to be fine if the throttle is rolled on. I removed the carb and gave it a good cleaning. what should I check next? Thanks for the help.

Its a combination of the restrictions and the jetting. Pull the muffler baffle, cut off the inside piece, and put on a homemade spark arrestor screen. Next open up the top of the airbox and remove the three layers of screen mesh on the air filter cage. Finally re-jet by raising the needle two grooves and main by two sizes. No more bog, it pulls way better.

instead of tearing apart the stock canister for the air box, does K&N or someone make an after market filter that will replace that metal canister and foam? One that will fit right into the stock airbox? I am doing the same thing to my son's XR80. I put a Works performance shock, stiffened the front forks and pulled the rear off the exhaust and cut out the top of the airbox. I am going to re-jet but am looking for a better air filter.

I have an 02 XR80 and I would say it's most likely needle position causing the bog there's no need to mod anything for it to run right it's a Honda after all.

Try the needle in the middle position, stock main should be fine air screw 1.5 to 1.75 turns out. Make sure the spark plug is good or buy a new one they're cheap.

I removed the screen from my filter cage and see no need for a K&N or Uni filter right now also I'm running an FMF exhaust with a Hotcam one size up on the main and it pulls hard. 7.3hp on the dyno nice fuel curve.

I will have to look into pulling the screen out of the canister. How easy was that?

Easy but it helps if you have a Dremel tool with a cut off disc just cut along the outer edges and pull it off, make sure to blow it out good with compressed air.

done, just pulled all the screen material out just leaving that one inner layer of metal with the holes in it. Thanks.

I dont mess around... :cry:

no, the bike has been waiting for a few weeks on the works shock so I pretty much had it all apart and that was an easy fix. Fired it up, still has a little bog with needle in 3rd from bottom position and 1.5 turns out on the air screw. Going to let him ride it this weekend and see how it runs a normal running temps..

we have a place in the country where I made a little one mile loop in the woods. built the track while riding the 80 just for my kids. let me tell you, this bike is a blast to rip in the woods, can't wait to ride it now after all the suspension and carb mods.. :cry: