Sign in to follow this  

VOR 530 peak power & redline??

Anyone know around what RPM the VOR 530's reach peak power and where redline is?

I've heard 9k RPM peak power and 10k RPM max but can not find anyone to verify if these numbers are correct.

Thanks!

I suppose it would depend on which cam,carb, exhaust you have. I know that kenny Tolbert (Chris Carr's mechanic) had a 450 that with stock valve springs,1mm oversized titianium valves and balanced rotating assy. and custom exhaust would turn right around 13,000 rpm. How long would it live...... :cry:

The Stock 530 was a low RPM to Midrange RPM motor. Believe it or not it actually peaks around 47-48HP at 7000-7500 RPM's with the stock airbox, carb & pipe. But it made big power from Idle all the way to peak power. Air starvation keeps them from twisting more RPM's.

Kenny Tolbert did a bunch of things...and some wasted a few motors. The first "stock" 450 SM-RC motor he had gave him horse power in the mid to high 50's. BUT He had the freedom to let that thing breath as he wasn't constrained by the stock VOR chassis/airbox issues. He was able to graft a pipe he built for a Rotax along with careful tuning of stock components and got those numbers. Those numbers are obtainable by almost any descent tuner with those VOR 450 SM-RC's.

VOR let Kenny know at the time that the VOR valve train was good for around 12,000RPM's. And when Kenny went beyond that 12,000 RPM number, the stock stuff wasn't good enough and failed. So they began to inovate and get into the realm of Research & development...with different valves and a bunch of other stuff. So that 13,000RPM number was never a reliable reality. period.

So a well setup VOR 450 in a stock chassis was good for horsepower in the high 40HP range, almost 50HP; (keeping the RPM's under 11,500 for reliability) with just a few modifications to the airbox, pipe and then jetting to match.

The reason the 530 wasn't making better numbers was the Airbox. That was the limitation on the 450's AND the 530's..which is why their peak HP numbers were similar just the power characteristics were different with the 530 having a much wider powerband with much more power everywhere up to the peak numbers. Open that thing up and let the 530 breath and you have a whole different story. Open the pipe and airbox, then jet to the new conditions and HP in the high 50's is possible. I don't trust the E-start versions enough to want to push them much past stock. Even the new versiosn. I wouldn't be afraid trying to build the MX NON e-start without that goofy Ducati wet ignition system and huge flywheel!! Like the 503's before them, the 530 MX motors can be made to haul ass.

I would like to see power curve of stock EN503 (2001)... Does anobody have graph from dyno?

Thr problem with the ducati ignition is? It has a soft rev limiter to prevent overreving and generally the Ducati igniton on the road bikes is extremely reliable. About the only problem I saw with one that weren't owner inflicted was the failure of a pickup the ignition itself was fine. I would of thought the electrice start motors would of been more robust that the competion motos. With a proper displacment oil pump slightly lower compression ratio etc etc. Anyway kinda sorta back on topic someone was working on a pod filter mount for super motard pourposes any feed back? that would open the airbox without sacrifcing fuel capacity as with the offical factory competion tank/airbox.