Sign in to follow this  

My xr100 has a lot of thrust play in the crank

It's really noticable. The xr80 motor I took out had no noticable play.

It seems not to have any up and down play just side to side.

Makes a notibable "clunk". Either the bearings are toast or they are spun in the cases. Turns very smooth though. Any recommendations? Can I pull the crank and have the bearings replaced or does it come as a unit?

Maybe I should send it out and have the whole motor stroked? 135 maybe? Can they do it with the takagawa piston? Do they use s short rod or a short piston in the stroker kits?

Thanks

Honda will sell it in pieces or the entire assembly (from lower chain gear to oil seal) but get the assembly it is a lot cheaper. Check various years I found the 97 to be the cheapest with Service Honda.

Well, I called powroll last night and they told me that the xr100 has a lot of side to side play between the crank and the cases! I told her it was like 1/10" and she said that is normal!! She said, yup and the output shaft has the same play in and out. Is this right? It doen't appear to be rubbing anything it just "clunks" in and out. My 80 engine has no play in or out. She says it is different on the 80. Hard to believe. Can I believe it?

I'm ordering a camchain but I am having a heck of a time getting the pulse generator bolt out of the ignition. I hope the last guy didn't use red loctite or something like that. I'm afraid to heat it becasue of the possiblity of melting the pule generator nearby. Any tips here?

Lastly I think I found the source of all that noise. When I loosened the lower camchain adjuster bolt I noticed the lock not was tight but the screw itself was not bottomed out! The tensioner must have been bouncing all over the place in there. The good news is the lower sprocket looks good as far as I can tell by shinning a flaslight down on it from the top of the head.

Thanks Socal. I've ordered the camchain and stuff from Ron Ayers. Gonna take a week to get it. I'll try to set the tensioner manually in the meantime so I can take it for a ride.