Sign in to follow this  

Local Man Dies at Reiter

That offically sucks. Did they close down Thurston County ORV just because somebody got killed there, or was it law-suit city?

Hope the masses aren't punished (restricted from land) becase of this dude's mistakes.

:cry:

I think it's good that the report was vague and that no mention was made of a riding area. If thats all that is ever said concerning it consider it a plus.

Too bad about the man though. It's always sad when a fellow rider is hurt or as in this case, dies as a result of recreating.

Three wheeler? Is'nt that kind of old technology due to the ease with which you could lose control and flip?:cry:

We met up with two nice guys on three-wheelers while riding up there on Saturday. I hope it was not one of them. One guy was on an old 110 and the other was on an old 185s. They were up there just toolin' around, doing some exploring. :cry:

Not good news, but it happens at least once every year. Some novice thinks he's hot stuff, no helmet most of the time and gets too wild and bites the dust. I wouldn't worry too much, like I said, it's not the first time. Almost always a quad or trike too, go figure.

GB

We met up with two nice guys on three-wheelers while riding up there on Saturday. I hope it was not one of them. One guy was on an old 110 and the other was on an old 185s. They were up there just toolin' around, doing some exploring. :cry:
It was an hour or two after we last saw them that we noticed the aid vehicles making their way up top. RIP!:cry:

Yep... But I can think of worse ways to go... Like dying of thirst and cramps out in a pile of lava rocks for three days.... PUSHING a 300 pound bike! :cry::cry: (all of those *BEAUTIFUL* rocks going to waste! :cry: )

But seriously, hooked up to tubes and drugs for months on end...??? or crippled by a stroke...??? I'd MUCH rather check out while riding on a sunny day in the mountains. But what a bummer to do it on a lousey 3-wheeler.. :cry:

I also provide my condolences,,,, way to often I have seen what was to be a fun little outing turn to tragedy.

If the state is serious about closing Reiter down then it has a double standard when it involves accidents on state lands. I personally have been part of three body recoveries and several more serious climbing accident rescues. This is just in the last three years (there are others but remember them all). All of these have been on Wa State Dept of Wildlife owned property (Frenchman Coulee) near Vantage. Never have I heard rumors that there might be a closure to this area. In fact the only closure I can think of is when Orv's were locked out when the climbers found the area to their liking.

Unfortunately accidents happen, if I ride a trail system I assume the risk. This should apply to all recreation users. We need to support our BRC and NMA. This is best chance we have to even out the Wa State double standard.

I started riding at Reiter (Gold Bar) in 1974. We have always feared that we could lose it if we didn't get some official designation. One of our last Trials Riding Areas is there!

Many riders have been lulled to sleep over the issue because they can still ride. It's difficult to rally the average riders when they can still ride. And when the gates go up, it's usually too late.

Unfortunately, there are more and more houses going up near Reiter. The pressure is mounting and there are people looking for any excuse to cry foul when it comes to ORV use out there. A single unprovoked accidental death should not be grounds for a red flag. But unfortunately, there have been some deaths and serious injury from head-on crashes out there that *DO* offer legal fuel for closing the area. Though this is certainly no consolation to the family that lost their loved one Saturday.

So what can we do? Take a personal interest in the area, keep it clean and try to keep it safe and try to educate other riders in the area about the need to ride responsibly. Stay informed and offer direct support to your representatives like the NMA and stand ready to communicate BY PERSONAL LETTER to whomever is in charge of making a binding decision on the use of that area. Maybe even your State Representatives.

But when it comes to any serious confrontation with non-ORV groups, we riders don't have a very good record and are easily outnumbered when it comes to personal responses. We lose the letter writing campaigns... sorry to say :cry:. I was there at the meetings and such when Tiger Mountain (Hwy 18) went down.

Bummer.:cry: I didn't know people still rode those things.

I saw the mention of Tiger Mountain. I used to hike there every morning thinking this would be fun to ride!

I saw the mention of Tiger Mountain. I used to hike there every morning thinking this would be fun to ride!

We rode Tiger Mountain back in the '80's. We also rode a lot on rattlesnake and thr ridge south on 18 (across from Tiger).

That was then, this is now...

TC, when were you hiking at Tiger Mountain?

That place was a blast to ride when it was open to motorized vehicles! I could spend the entire day exploring on my little xr80. Does anyone remember the shooting pit on the opposite side of 18?

TC, when were you hiking at Tiger Mountain?

Back in 97. Kacy and I would go there every morning to just get a hike in to exercise. She was pregnant with our daughter at the time. We were staying in Bellvue for the summer.

We love WA state. We cruised around Snoqualmie Falls area and visited all kinds of cool places. That's when I rode the Gifford/Pinchot area with the guys fron the Lynwood Cycle Barn. I remember saying if it didn't rain so much of the year I could live there. Its beautiful where you guys live...:cry:

Wow T.C. Small world! Tiger Mountain was where I rode my very first Trials Event in 1975. A friend and I built an entire trail system there when the guys were complaining that there wasn't much left at Tiger. We said BS and doubled the riding in 2 months of work. That's where I learned about trail clearing and how easy it really was if you would just get off the bike to do it. However, it's realy not very difficult to "build" a trail for Trials Bikes. Just cut or break the limbs that slap you in the face and ride! :cry:

That was a shame as it's only 8 miles from where I live now. :cry:

Very weird, I had a dream last night that someone died at Reiter, then I come here and see that it really did happen. My condolences go out to the family.

Jeremy

My condolences to his family. This can't help us keep it open. Whatever happened to making Reiter Pit a legal ORV park?

The DNR people don't want to get involved, I guess it would be to much work for them :cry: If they do get involved expect to see major changes such as limited riding opportunities and much increased scrutiny from treehuggers. :cry: