Sign in to follow this  

looking for un-bias opinion on CRF250r v. YZ250f

hey, i am looking for opinions and facts on which bike is better the CRF250r or the YZ250f. A buddy of mine would sell me his 04 yz250f for around $3700. THe bike is in good shape mechanically. it has REP suspension and the motor has been ported and polished. I am trying to get a better idea if i would be better off paying a bit more for a used 05 crf250. i have heard many good things about the honda, such as great handling, decent power, and a light feel. I would appreciate any info you guys can provide. I will be selling my o3 yz125 by the end of next season so i should let my buddy know if i'm interested in it before too long. Thanks for the help,

Ben #256

Ok, try to follow along with my logic in answering this question. A '05 CRF250R vs a '04 YZF250:

1. Since Yamaha is the older of the 2 (1897 vs 1948), it's better because we all know the older you are the wiser and more knowledgable you are. You have been around the block, you have seen and experienced more.

2. Since Yamaha has more letters than Honda, it's better. More is always better.

3. Honda is red, a color meant for anger and heat. When CRF250R engine heats up from the lack of oil on reserve, you'll get mighty angry.

4. Yamaha is blue, a color of coolness and calmness. Unlike the CRF250R, your YZF250 will ride cooler and thus you will remain calmer due to the better dependability of the engine.

5. Everyone knows Shizouka-ken and Hamamatsu-shi (where Yamaha is located in Japan) are more rocken than Tokyo (where Honda is located).

So there you have it. The choice is easy, once you know a little about each bike. I think everyone here on this forum will agree, buy the YZF.

Cheers,

:cry:
why dont you get an 05 yz125? It blows them both away.
Ya right, I wouldnt believe that, the 250f's would kill the 125 2-smoke:naughty:

If you go red, just stay away from the 2004 model, because of the defective cylinder skirt design. And now for the really bad news: the '05 cylinder can not be retrofitted to the '04 without blocking the oil mister spray. :cry:

...from MotoCross Action magazine, February 2005, Page 154...

"It's no secret that 2004 Honda CRF250 cylinder skirts cracked. Even if it had been a secret, Honda let the cat out of the bag when they came out with a totally new cylinder for 2005 -- designed to eliminate cracking at the skirt."

YZ250F_Riderwhy dont you get an 05 yz125? It blows them both away.

are you being serious.. im looking at either a yz125 or a yz250f. just wondering:excuseme:

get the yz250f i have an 04 its an awesome bike u get used to it soo quick my 1st lap i loved it and it handles better then the crf and has way more power the crf is tamer

Here's an honest unbiased opinion. The Honda has great suspension, no doubt about it. And it's definately a great looking package. However they have a questionable reliability record. While the Yamaha may not seem quite as techno-cool as the Honda, it is a proven package.

The other thing I would point out is getting to the carb. Go take a look at the CRF frame, and ask yourself if you had to jet or clean the carb, just how would you get to it?

I rode YZFs for 3 years before switching to the RMZ for '04. After four months of wrestling with valve problems, I'm pretty sensitive about reliability. I can tell you if there's even a chance Honda hasn't quite fixed their valve issues, you don't want to mess with it (I have a friend with a CRF who has had to have his valves shimmed roughly every 3 rides). I got so frustrated with the RMZ I got a new YZF AFTER spending all the money on a stainless steel valve kit.

The YZF may not be the flashiest bike in the class, but it's proven itself reliable and competetive over the last 5 years. The other brands are competetive, but haven't proven their reliability yet. That made the choice easy for me.

That's my 2 cents.

~Tex LaBo

'05 YZF

'04 RMZ (for sale)

I have an 2004 yzf250 and a 2003 crf250. I race and prefer the the Honda for low end power and handling but I race the Yamaha now, alot less expensive to operate. The Honda has had 3 top ends done and has a broken piston skirt now so it's stting in the garage DEAD! I've had no problems with the Yamaha and actually winning more races with the Yamaha go figure.

You should post your experience under this same subject in the CRF250 group. Nobody admits to any reliability issues with big red.

Denial is more than just a river in Egypt...

The Honda has had 3 top ends done and has a broken piston skirt now so it's stting in the garage DEAD! I've had no problems with the Yamaha and actually winning more races with the Yamaha go figure.

:cry: Ya right, I wouldnt believe that, the 250f's would kill the 125 2-smoke:naughty:

you have obviously not ridden an 05 yz125 then.

YZ250F_Riderwhy dont you get an 05 yz125? It blows them both away.

are you being serious.. im looking at either a yz125 or a yz250f. just wondering:excuseme:

I dont like the smell, and I'm too old to learn to like it. And at my age I am just too damned lazy to ride a pipe. For a younger guy that doesnt weigh 190 they will fly. My kid would kill for one.

I'm not brand-loyal by any means and I really wanted to buy an '05 CRF250 this year. Real life reliability issues prevented that purchase for me. Besides, I have had a lot of time on an '01 YZ250F and it was flat out the most effective race bike I've ever owned. I bought an '05 and I can't be more pleased with this bike. I don't find myself looking back even for a second! In two years I'll look at Honda again if the reliability issues are addressed. Also, I was able to buy the YZF for $1,000 less than the CRF. Not a big part of my decision process, but icing on the cake for sure.:cry:

get the yz250f i have an 04 its an awesome bike u get used to it soo quick my 1st lap i loved it and it handles better then the crf and has way more power the crf is tamer

i dont know where you heard this but everyone says the crf handles way better than the yz250f.

Ben #256

I'm another one of the guys who is going to say that the CRF does not handle like a YZF. Now, that may be a good thing or it could be a bad thing. I do know this- You will NEVER see YZF guys talking about different setback triple clamps, but the Honda guys seem to mention it fairly regularly. Think about this for a moment. These guys are not tossing out 3-400 bucks for no good reason.

I owned a 04 CRF250R and hated the handling. I could NOT get it to go where I wanted it to go. In corners, it was vague and twitchey at the same time. In the woods, I felt out of control. On the track, it was a scarey event. Whenever I would hop on my 03 YZ250F, I could immediately ride one gear faster. HUGE difference and I would never go back to a Honda.

Besides the handling, which many people will debate, there are other CRF issues not often mentioned. It often refused to start in gear, it stalled easier, it has harder kicking compression which makes bump starting MUCH harder, the carb is a complete ####ing PITA to remove, it was finicky jetting (yes, it has great low end power if properly jetted, btw, contrary to magazine reports.). Let's see what else- it's sorta thirsty if you ride off road and the tank is same as a YZF at 1.7 gals, cheap quality cables, left side cover is very vunerable, if you toss a chain you will probably bust a side cover.

I never kept mine long enough to get into any reliability problems, but the one 125A buddy trashed clutches plus valves go tight, and an other local kid had the cylinder skirt bust resulting in a $2000 gut pile.

On the other hand, I have two 03 YZ250Fs and I know of eight other guys with Yam YZ/WR250Fs of 01-04 vintage. Zero reliability valve problems with any of them. The 01 WR250 had a broken crank pin at one time.

Bottom line ---->>>> Make my vote for a blue one. :cry:

I rode a friends 04 CRF 250 and was really impressed. Handled well, good power, and just had such a light feel to it. Enough to where my mind started wandering about how much I could sell my 03 YZF 250 for to get one. Then after reading about what issues they seem to have (of which one other friend fell victim to the valve issue) I thought about it a little more and realized I don't want to work on my bikes unless it's something I want to do to it. I've owned my 03 since brand new, and not one cover of the engine has ever been off. I prefer to keep it that way. I change the oil and filters regularly, and that's it.

I guess my point is if you don't mind tinkering on occasion, and regular maintainance (including valve adjustments) is not an issue, and with luck by your side, definitely consider the Honda. For me, I don't want to work on anything. That's why I choose to keep my Yamaha. Hopefully, the 06 YZF will have an aluminum frame, and it will be time to upgrade. For me that will mean an updated bike, and based on my past experiences (I started out with an 01 YZF 250) probably another 3 years of doing nothing to my bike.

Good luck in your choice.

I'm not exactly sure that looking for unbiased info on the Blue Crew (We're a loyal bunch.:cry:) forum will get you the info you need, but as a vet racer, I will tell you what I have found.

I have ridden both bikes, and both are good. I have seen more reliability issues with the Honda but I cannot attest to the maintenance habits of the kids who had Honda reliability issues. The Yammy's do seem to have a reliability advantage, but make no mistake here, I have seen Yammy engines grenade as well as the Hondas.

With respect to the new aluminum frame YZ 125's they are NOT faster than the 250F's. They are a fun bike to ride, and incredably light, but they still have to be ridden on the pipe. The "off the pipe" lull is not as pronounced as it was with the 04 model, but it is still there. There are some hotshoe tiddler pilots that are faster on a YZ 125 smoker, but they were faster on an 04 smoker as well. The 05 YZ125 has bridged the gap with the 25F, but it hasn't caught it yet.

If I were going to buy a baby thumper today, I would still purchase a Yamaha.

If I were going to buy a 125 smoker today, I would buy a YZ125.

If I were going to buy a 250 two stroker, it would be the RM.

Hope this helps.

I went to the cycle world bike show and talked to the honda rep about the 250f, it needs a valve job every 15-20 hrs of riding. but it does out perform the yz but if u don't want to spen a couple hundred every 20hrs go with the yamaha